Installing rear main bearing seal 273

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my 1966 273 and have a question about the rear main bearing seal. The replacement I have is a Felpro rubber seal instead of the original rope type. I think I recall reading somewhere when installing a rubber replacement that is necessary to cut/clip at least some the outside fingers on the seal half that goes into the outer edge of the main bearing cap.

Instructions that came with the Felpro seal says to apply RTV to the outside edge in recess groove on the block. There is no recess groove in the block, but there are grooves in the cap itself.

Just want to be sure this rear main seal installation is done correctly now rather than discovering the mistake after the engine is reinstalled and running.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You don't cut or clip anything with the lip seal. The lip seal goes in the block with the lip facing the crankcase. Make sure there's no oil or grease (even from your fingers) on the seal bores or anywhere but on the lip of the seal. I use grease there myself rather than oil that can seap into the other areas before you fire it, and cause a leak down the rod. Then use RTV at the mating surfaces of the seal, and the grroves in the block under the cap.
Personally, unless this is a race car, you can't go wrong with a rope seal. And those you do clip...

Thanks for responding. I will follow your suggestion.
Pat

Yes.

I just put some clear RTV around the outer edges of the seal (not the inner ones), then install it in the block, no trimming required.

if someone has one handy, they should post a picture of where to oil prior to installation. Once it's together and in the car, you usually end up living with a "drip" instead of pulling and replacing.... just saying

if someone has one handy, they should post a picture of where to oil prior to installation. Once it's together and in the car, you usually end up living with a "drip" instead of pulling and replacing.... just saying

You just oil the inside lip that contacts the crank journal....

Offsetting the ends of the seal so they don't line right up with the main cap mating surfaces is a really good idea to follow also.
It lessens the chances of a leak where they come together.

Attachments

• crankseal.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 203
You just oil the inside lip that contacts the crank journal....
yes, I know. Just a lot of emphasis to the op on where and what to oil, thought a quick pix would help clarify

Offsetting the ends of the seal so they don't line right up with the main cap mating surfaces is a really good idea to follow also.

This too ^^^^

This is how it is done.

-
Back