installing splash shields

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be able to spray undercoating on my 68 this weekend since it looks like it's going to be the last good weekend before winter. I need to get the splash shields in place before I start masking off the body. I took this car apart in 2013 so I'm a little fizzy on some things. I seem to remember the splash shields were a pain to get off.

I just tried to slip one in place and it's binding up. Do I need to take the two lower fender bolds loose? It seems like this would help with the installation...or should they slide in place without doing that?

well on a 65 mustang they go in from behind!

What car are you working on. Maybe all A bodies are the same but maybe not!

I don't seem to recall having any issues putting it on getting it off was a pain due to the undercoat.

did you replace the rubber seals?
do you have them on the correct sides?

I got it. I had to take the 2 bolts loose at the bottom of the fenders and take off the rubber at the top. Then they went in. Yes, new weatherstrips from DMT.

Hope to spray undercoating later today.

20221022_102150.jpg

Those 2 body bolts under the fender should have large washers that seem like body shims. The gap they create is the drain for all the water coming down from cowl.

Yes, the picture shows the rubber seal at the top is in place.

Isn't there one that runs along the shield to the fender?

Screenshot_20221022-141902.png

The inexpensive gun I bought didn't come with a cup so I bought 1 bottle of 3M body schutz. 1 bottle of body schutz did a medium coat on 3 wheel wells. It goes on and looks factory right after you spray it but as it dries, it levels out and looks too flat. I went over the top with RestoRick's undercoating.

Stare at them for awhile and it should become obvious.
I stared a bunch. I don’t get how in 1 picture the little wire connectors (ones that look like they face towards the fender?) are sticking straight out and then the next second there is a gasket and it’s pressed up against the fender.

Flip your shield over to match my pictures and it'll make sense. The rubber seal goes on the flange between it and the fender. The push pins go through the holes and face inboard towards the inner fender. Seal kit is left and right hand specific.

-
Back