Installing the classic dash for 1967 dodge dart

-

Jonathan Paulsen

Reaction score
Hi folks, has anyone installed the classic dash insert for the 67-69 darts? If so how did you do it? I'm just a little confused on how it's supposed to fit

This one

719680411.jpg

Looks straightforward to me? Screws go in upper part(vertically)screws go in lower bottom part horizontally.
EZ PZ

Looks straightforward to me? Screws go in upper part(vertically)screws go in lower bottom part horizontally.
EZ PZ
Thank you for your input, but I'm really looking for advice from people who have installed it, because it is not that straight forward. I thought it was also until I got it. I'm pretty sure you just have to cut some of the dash frame where the original cluster sits. I just wanted some clarification before I do something wrong

Well post pics of your frame. Can't "piece it together" with only one piece.
Maybe you have rally dash frame?
Thank you for your input, but I'm really looking for advice from people who have installed it, because it is not that straight forward. I thought it was also until I got it. I'm pretty sure you just have to cut some of the dash frame where the original cluster sits. I just wanted some clarification before I do something wrong

Well post pics of your frame. Can't "piece it together" with only one piece.
Maybe you have rally dash frame?
I don't have the ability to post pictures of my dash frame, but I know for a fact that it is not the rally frame. 1. They didn't introduce the rally gauges until 1968, I have a 67. And 2. I pulled the original sweep style cluster out myself.

Sorry, can't help. Good luck.
I don't have the ability to post pictures of my dash frame, but I know for a fact that it is not the rally frame. 1. They didn't introduce the rally gauges until 1968, I have a 67. And 2. I pulled the original sweep style cluster out myself.

Hi Jonathan,

Seeing you can't get the pics, here's some help.

This is a generic aftermarket part so the Manufacturer may not be as forthcoming and clear about the install as you might think.

The Rallye dash was not offered in 67 darts but it was offered in the 67 Barracuda. Maybe that's why they say it fits 67 A-bodies.

Having taken apart many 67 - 69 Barracudas, I'm pretty sure this dash will fit those models including the 70 and 71 Darts/Demons. The cluster for the 67 Dart is completely different and so is the dash frame.

Here's a pic of a 70 dart frame without rallye cluster which I think is similar to yours.

Is this what your dash frame looks like?

388e7d3c-f434-4b29-acfe-692a52c24cfe-jpeg.jpg

Here's a 67 Rallye dash frame.

tom-derych-67-barracuda-dash-frame-picture-1-jpg.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is what the cluster you bought fits.

I'm pretty sure this is what the cluster you bought fits
I'm kind of in agreement with you.

BUT.

If you look at the right most gauge. It is near the heater motor switch, but not too close.

The openings for the heater seem to be in stock 67 to 70? Dash location.

The 67 thru 69 bezels and gauge clusters are mostly identical and can swap around (exceptions.... The 67 speedo has screw on cable, and the glove box door has side hinges and radio is post type vs later press on cable and bottom hinge and thumb radio)

So I think it could fit into the 67 thru 70 something dash frame.

That panel is for the dashes with larger openings. YOu'd need to cut you dash panel to make it work. As far as I know, no one makes a aftermarket cluster for 67-69 Darts. I started to design one in SolidWorks to 3d print but havn't had the time.

I'm kind of in agreement with you.

BUT.

If you look at the right most gauge. It is near the heater motor switch, but not too close.

The openings for the heater seem to be in stock 67 to 70? Dash location.

The 67 thru 69 bezels and gauge clusters are mostly identical and can swap around (exceptions.... The 67 speedo has screw on cable, and the glove box door has side hinges and radio is post type vs later press on cable and bottom hinge and thumb radio)

So I think it could fit into the 67 thru 70 something dash frame.

Hey Dana67Dart,

If you look closely, you will see that the heater controls mount to the 67 dart frame. In the 67- 71 Rallye dash frame, they mount to the aluminum gauge cluster frame that also holds the gauges. Also, look at the far right of the frames. One is cut on an angle , the other is straight up. The angled one on the 67-71 Rallye gauge dash is cut to clear the right side of the Rallye gauge cluster.

You may be able to cut the original Dart dash to fit the cluster but its a ton of work to make it look right.

Cheers!!

If you look closely, you will see that the heater controls mount to the 67 dart frame
And the stock bezel fits over the controls

Really bad photo shop and the perspectives are way off but.

It looks like it would fit to me.

Screenshot_20230511-084711.png

67 heater controls

20180501_155638.jpg

20180501_155701.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to tell without seeing the back side of the new cluster. I see what you are getting at though.

Here's the cluster I think will work from the manufacturers web site.

Note the location of the wiper switch and headlight switch. Not sure about the emergency flasher switch location though.

7031-SC_13.jpg

Hard to tell without seeing the back side of the new cluster. I see what you are getting at though.

Here's the cluster I think will work from the manufacturers web site.

Note the location of the wiper switch and headlight switch. Not sure about the emergency flasher switch location though.

View attachment 1716088692
So that is only for the 70s dart, the gauge clusters are quite different

Jonathon , have you purchaced this dash insert yet?

have you offered it in there yet? i'd remove the gauges from the panel and offer it in to see if it sits nicely in place. then if you can see any dash frame through a gauge hole or any part of the frame obstructs the fitment mark it for cutting. refit the gauges and offer it up again, you may need to increase the hole sizes slightly but better to creep up on it than cut too much.
that's how i'd do it anyway.
neil.

Welder will put it back together.

I have a 67 cuda rally dash in my 67 dart ;-)

I have been eyeing up this dash for awhile for the big block and t56 swap but have not pulled the trigger because I am knee deep in getting everything running first before this "death march" (wedding)

I’ve got the same dash for my 69 Dart I haven’t tried to fit it. Within a few weeks maybe I’ll see if it fits without cutting.

-
Back