Installing valvebody and park rod.

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Say i'm laying under the car trying to get the valvebody and park rod in.

Should I have the rooster comb in a particular position when installing? like park reverse neutral, 2, 1 etc. ??

I've been trying it with it in the Park position, think I'm getting the park rod into the pawl, but as soon as I start getting the shift shaft and the electrical connection (A500) started into their holes the whole thing seems like it binds up, and I cant get the bolt holes to line up.

Probably have better luck with any position other than park. Those can be a PITA. Turn the output shaft so the park paw is lined up with the notch so it has full travel.

worst part is I had it in once, thought I was good, put the pan back on, filled it with fluid, fired it up, and it was stuck in park, wouldn't shift.
I"ll try it again in the morning, in a position other than park, and wiggle the driveshaft.

Last edited:
I rebuilt an A500 and had a hell of a time getting that bastard in. Every 727 I’ve worked on it slipped right in.

Finally got that bad boy in. Trying to support the valve body with one hand while reaching back and turning the driveshaft with the other wasn't working.
I had to remove the rod from the rooster comb, then was able to get the rod in while rotating the driveshaft. With the valvebody bolted up and the rooster comb in the 1st gear position, you can get up in there and get the rod back on, and the e-clip.
So all it well, back together and running.
Thanks

-
Back