Installing wheel studs in Yukon axles

-

j-miller

Demonized by Dodge
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm running into a problem and hope someone can shed a bit of light for me. I have a set of new BBP Yukon axles I am putting in my 8-3/4 and I am trying to install new 1/2" wheel studs. The problem I am running into is they don't seem to pull in when I try and tighten them down with a lugnut.

Just curious if the metal is harder on the Yukon axles which makes it harder to pull the studs through? I'm interested on any other techniques that some of you guys might have done that may help me out.

Hey
Heat the axle flange with boiling water and cool the stud with butane lighter fuel.

Make sure you have a good fitting wheel nut and lots of thread engagement. Hammer?

Are the wheel studs that you have specifically for the Yukon axles? Can you put a micrometer on the knurl to get an accurate diameter and also mic the axle stud hole....

Are you using a spacer between the nut and the flange when tightening? If not, the nut might be bottoming out on the threads before the stud in deep enough. Mine installed with no problem, but I did have to use a spacer.

Are you using a spacer between the nut and the flange when tightening? If not, the nut might be bottoming out on the threads before the stud in deep enough. Mine installed with no problem, but I did have to use a spacer.

BINGO! That's what happened. I thought I was ok with just the nut and once I added a few washers and it finally went through. :blob:

Thanks everybody for the quick responses!! :cheers:

BINGO! That's what happened. I thought I was ok with just the nut and once I added a few washers and it finally went through. :blob:

Thanks everybody for the quick responses!! :cheers:
Do you happen to have the part number for the studs you used? I just got a set of Yukons and am having trouble getting the right studs. Thanks.

-
Back