Instrument cluster lights, '65 Valiant

-

scott_s

Reaction score
My dash/gauge lights on my '65 Valiant 200 don't work.
I Googled and read through a few threads here and see that a common theme is the headlight switch/rheostat, the fuse and something about adding an extra ground.

I looked at the fuse yesterday and it looks OK. I need to find my little plastic fuse-puller tweezers so I can get it out and swap it.
I tried turning the headlight switch dimmer back and forth briskly (someone mentioned this can clean corrosion).

Here's where I'm scratching my head though: I tried to check both sides of the fuse holder for power and I'm getting nothing. I tried it with key on, key off, headlights on, headlights off, engine running, etc.
What am I doing wrong here? Shouldn't I see power at the fuse holder at some point?

Also, if anyone has a good explanation and pics of the added ground wire, can you show me?

Lastly, if I have to pull the gauge cluster, are there LEDS I can use in the dash bulbs?

I believe your dimmer switch is the culprit. Similar to my 68B dash no power going to fuse was the dimmer. Took it out. Cleaned it up. Works. Fickle but it works.

For the instrument lights, the path is mainsplice to fuse box. Fuse to headlight switch. (Same fuse as parking and tail lights.)
In the headlight switch is the rheostat to control brightness.
Then it goes from the headlight switch to the fuse on the far end. Its a 2 or 3 amp fuse.
Then finally to the back of the instrument cluster.

upload_2022-4-7_9-32-59-png.png

On the headlight switch B1 is power only for headlights. There's an internal circuit breaker.
B2 is power for everything else in the headlight switch and is fused.

This is the 1965 power scheme.
upload_2022-4-6_17-51-53-png-png.png

Found the fuse puller and I CANNOT get that fuse out. I feel like I'm going to break something.
HOWEVER, while messing around under the dash, I noticed that the tach light was on. I tried turning the dimmer knob and I noticed that the light behind the speedo was on, too!
There's a sweet spot in the rheostat where it's brightest. Maybe I made a better connection while wiggling wires or moving the dimmer?
dash lights.jpg

tach lights.jpg

While I got the lights working, I do believe that a couple are still out. I know the hi-beam indicator doesn't work.
Looking at the chart, it says they're all 158 bulbs, which are a bayonet style. But, the one I can sort of see behind the speedo looks much larger.

Would all of the '65 Valiant 200 instrument bulbs be the 158?

Also, would the column shift automatic have a lamp for the gear indicator? I see it on some models, but not sure if mine should have it.

Almost impossible to get a good pic, but is this the PRNDL light that I'm pointing to with the wooden skewer? It looks like I will have to pull the steering wheel to get access to it.

Is it the same 158 bayonet style bulb as the instrument lights?

PRNDL light.jpg

-
Back