instrument cluster lights

-

loops

Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas? Re-did instrument cluster.......the 2 lights that illuminate speedo area will not light. Put new bulbs checked for little clips to make contact on circuit board. tester shows power to on grid, but no ground circuit showing. Does cluster have to be mounted to dash to make ground?( Also i have replaced clear bulbs with blue led bulbs.)

yes the panel needs the chassis ground.

I grounded each light, (and the gauges), it took a few minutes to do but they are brighter than ever. I originally just grounded the gauge cluster from 1 point, and that light always worked, but the others were hit or miss. For some reason the board just was not grounding to the gauge cluster via the screws.

Matthon..........how did you ground each light? where did you run wire to?

Matthon..........how did you ground each light? where did you run wire to?
Most of the lamps for illumination have a positive copper trace to one side and ground from the other to a board mounting screw. Simple enough to add a wire with ring terminal under that screw.
On a rallye panel that would equal 4 wires gang bonded to one that is chassis grounded to the dash.
This can only help those indicater lamps too. Since that panel is originally grounded through chrome plates screws, just one dedicated ground wire might be all that is needed.

Most of the lamps for illumination have a positive copper trace to one side and ground from the other to a board mounting screw. Simple enough to add a wire with ring terminal under that screw.
On a rallye panel that would equal 4 wires gang bonded to one that is chassis grounded to the dash.
This can only help those indicater lamps too. Since that panel is originally grounded through chrome plates screws, just one dedicated ground wire might be all that is needed.

What he said....I jumped all of the grounds together and my dash lights all work Awesome.....prior to that some would work and some not....The ground wires are the cure!

Yep, wire with ring terminal to each screw for all of the lights and the gauges, spliced into 1 wire sent to the dash.
Bright lights, all the same, and never dim in and out.

Thanks for the great info! My dodge dart has a circuit board with twist in bulb holders, with out any screw. Do you think soldering a ground wire next to each bulb would do the trick or am I asking for problems by screwing up the bvoard?

Here is a mock-up of mine, using just 1 light as an example.
The red arrow is power coming in, the red circle is the screw that grounds the bulb, which is a screw in bulb. The black line is my ground wire.
I did this for all of them.
I'd take a pic of my dash, but I just got it all in and I can't get a pic unless I take it back out.

rallye%20panel.jpg

-
Back