Instrument cluster question.

-

grassy

Reaction score
I have removed my cluster out of a '75 Duster.

How do you take the back units of the two switches off ? Is it via the front ? It looks like some sort of spring washer is holding them in.

Is there a bit more user friendly wiring diagram for under the dash ?

Thanks
Grassy

I have removed my cluster out of a '75 Duster.

How do you take the back units of the two switches off ? Is it via the front ? It looks like some sort of spring washer is holding them in.

They are just held in place by nuts that you have to unscrew from the front.

The thing that tics me off is that I had a second unit that I was going to use but it has gone MIA so I have to chop this one up.

I am holding it in my hands now and what it looks like to me is a round wheel with slots cut in it...do you need a special tool for this ?

Thanks,
ian.

The headlight switch is a PITA if you don't know the trick. There is a small release button on the back that you push in to allow the entire shaft to pull out of the switch housing. Then you can remove the front nut that holds the switch housing to the dash. The wiper switch is usually just pressed on or sometimes it has a small allen screw on the knob.

I think that is going to be the ticket...why couldn't Chrysler use a nut...

Spring button for the headlight switch I think is on the bottom at the back of the switch.
Here is a link to show the switch. In the top right picture you can barely see the button on the bottom.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRTEX-1S1723-Switch-Headlight-/321127300861?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ABarracuda&hash=item4ac4adbefd&vxp=mtr#ht_1513wt_1328
Needle nose pliers or snap ring pliers will work for to remove the bezels, but I bought this tool off ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/dash-bezel-...ries&hash=item2ebd63dae9&vxp=mtr#ht_133wt_904

4spd,

Leave it to Chrysler to have a special tool :)

I shall try the snap ring pliers first.

Thanks,
Ian.

I am holding it in my hands now and what it looks like to me is a round wheel with slots cut in it...do you need a special tool for this ?

I use a standard screwdriver and a hammer. Insert the blade into one of the slots and tap gently in a counterclockwise direction. It will loosen up and you can turn it like a regular nut.

The switches have locating tangs that fit into slots and prevent them from rotating. I have found there is a small amount of wiggle in the fit there. To push the bezel nut counter clockwise while wiggling/rotating the switch as much as it will, usually gets the nut moving. Tightening is the same but...
Scratching the crap out of a bezel is far too easy. I could take a pic to prove it too :(
Only the proper tool will ensure nothing gets scared.

-
Back