Instrument Lights to change...

-

340S

Reaction score
Hello out there,

I have a problem, the light of the tachometer won´t work, lighting for other instruments are fine (also for dimming). So how to change the bulb? It is a 68 Barracuda. Can I change it from behind or I have to disassemble the dash from the front? Any hint (pic, drawing, how-to) would be helpful!

Thx in advance,

Gerald

The light bulbs for the instruments are in twist-in sockets that are inserted from the back of the circuit board. Some of them are reasonably accessible and can be seen from below with a flashlight (they are black with a protruding rectangular grip). The tach is above the steering column and therefore much harder to reach. If you have very slender hands and wrists and a high threshold of pain you may be able to reach up and change the tach bulb by feel. Otherwise, you will have to partially remove the instrument panel, enough to tilt it forward and reach behind from the top.

There are only 4 bulbs in the rally panel for illumination. The other 4 ( 8 total ) are indicator lamps. Because 6 of the 8 are scattered around the tach, breaking adjacent sockets is easy when reaching in from underneath.
Procedure for removing the panel is in the service manuals through 72 edition. Everything about the panel is fragile. 8 new bulbs and sockets will be a little expensive. I consider it money well spent.
Hope this helps

Hello,

and thx for the advice! I will try it and tell ya the results.

so long,

Gerald

Finally I fixed it!!

I decided to chose aftermarket bulbs, and not LED´s cause of dimming and to be original.

And yes, I almost broke my fingers although. :D

Here´s the result:

Thx again for your advice!!

Sorry for unsteady pic...

greetz Gerald

-
Back