Instrument panel

-

mycuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Starting testing on cluster.
With amp meter hooked up how do I ground the instrument cluster
With key on to check dash lites etc. without installing??
Trying to check all before installing.

Thanks in advance

how about a short jumper wire to the screw holes on the dash to the cluster.that way you can flip it over to work on it?

You should make a permanent ground jumper in any case Just look at the cluster. Most mounting screws also ground the PC board traces for such things as the ground sides of the lamps. Pick one (or two) and hook a ground pigtail securely. Make it long enough to get the cluster in / out, and BOLT it to something like the column support.

If you want to lay it on the floor, etc for testing, you can always cut it shorter when done

Thanks, tried that bud no luck. Maybe didn't have good enough ground.
I will try a different ground and check chassis/engine/battery to ground connections.

Dave

Still no dash lights. Determined ground is not the problem.
Is there a test I can do on voltage regulator on cluster to see if it maybe problem?

Thanks

The VR has nothing to do with dash lights

Your ILLUMINATION lamps come from an orange wire on whatever pin goes to the harness connector

Do you have power on the orange? Have you checked at the inst fuse in the fuse panel?

WARNING lamps all get power "on one end" of the lamp from the blue (blue stripe sometimes) which is "switched ignition" and also feeds the dash gauge limiter.

The thing that makes the warning lamps come on (brake, oil, etc) is that the other terminal of the bulb becomes grounded by the sender or switch

Have you downloaded a shop manual?

Do you have a clear understanding of the harness connections?

I always work on my dash instruments on the bench first. With a 12v power supply I check all the bulbs and sockets. I may also tickle all the gauges to see if they have movement. I also check the voltage regulator for proper 5v output with 12v in. After the bench test I install it into the dash and carefully hook it up then do a final instrument and light bulb check before I wrap it all up.

Hi, Was talking about 3 prong part that plugs in to cluster.not under the hood.
Took fuse block out have power to inst. fuse on one side.

notice a lot of surface rust on backside connections of fuse block.
do have wiring schematic.

Will clean up connections and see what happens.
Thanx

Hi, Was talking about 3 prong part that plugs in to cluster.not under the hood.
Took fuse block out have power to inst. fuse on one side.

notice a lot of surface rust on backside connections of fuse block.
do have wiring schematic.

Will clean up connections and see what happens.
Thanx

that 3 prong part is a VR, or voltage limiter.

-
Back