Instrument regulator

-

Yote

Reaction score
Is there a way to test instrument voltage regulator? I have my instrument panel on the bench now and would like to be sure it's good before reinstalling it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qVfKiujK5A"]Mopar Voltage Limiter ~ Temp & Fuel gauges - YouTube[/ame]

The right way is an end to end test. Supply 12V to the proper pins of the assembled cluster, and use test resistors to see if the gauges read somewhat correctly

Some of my nonsense

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=329012

The reason this was built so, was because of junk parts I had, and the type of switch

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=179517

The thing is, your original IVR is a pulsing unit, like a turn flasher. It pulses the 12V on/off to the gauges, which move too slowly to show that pulsation. The pulsating current "works out" to approximate 5V DC, but you cannot measure that with a meter

Now, if you have made a solid state 5V regulator, you need (really) to test that "in place in operation" so to speak. That is, with the operating load the gauges and senders put upon it.

Thanks , my aging brain gets confused with all that. Heck maybe it was that way all along.
Anyway our Radio Stuff store closed along with others. Not much electrical knowledge available there before anyway. I may just ( assume) that it is working correctly and see what happens. My electrical ability is pretty much limited to + = hot , - is ground.

We don't have to be smart to make wise decisions. If you had a panel with the regulator built inside a gauge you would need to do some of the weird chit to repair that weird chit.
Your standard panel has a basic plug in can type limiter. The smart thing to do is replace it with a new one while its a simple task. Oreallys and others have exact replacements.

Not used to tossing parts at anything. But no better than I like taking that apart it makes sense. No , wait , I thought about it another second, it makes perfect sense. Besides it can't cost as much as my fumbling frustration taking it out again. THANKS ALL.

The regulator is replaceable without pulling the cluster. It is on my 70 dart anyhow... I've had bad luck with those things in the past. The original went bad and then two new replacements went out in a matter of weeks. I ended up buying an aftermarket digital regulator for about the same price as the original style piece. It was a simple plug and play installation and it works perfect and has been for over a year.

I think I took the burnt up one back to the store to get the warranty. If I did and I still have the new one laying around, your welcome to have it.

Easy for you to say Redram, don't think your as old as I am. Already ordered a new one even though I believe the old one is ok. Just don't want to take things apart again. I've done that too much already. This car is going to make me start drinking, and already drink.
I would like to find one thing on this car the previous owner didn't mess with. I could tell about it but it would take a whole chapter.

I'm a whopping 24 years old! I HATE doing under dash work now.... I can't imagine it when/if I'm old and have a "bad" back.

Wow, I was good untill 45, many years ago. Got wedged today between shifter front seat and dash , triying to replace wiper pivot seals . If I didn't enjoy this stuff I wouldn't do it.

Wow, I was good untill 45, many years ago. Got wedged today between shifter front seat and dash , triying to replace wiper pivot seals . If I didn't enjoy this stuff I wouldn't do it.

I'm 67 and suffer from a lot of limb and joint pain. If I get under the dash, I just go ahead and yank out at least one seat.

My problem Dart seems to be organization. I end up taking things apart 2-3 times to fix different items each time. By the way , how do you put your "broken " line on your posts? Do you have to do it each time? I enjoy it every time I read it. J

-
Back