Insulated boots....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Figured in a round about way they are shop equipment so.....

A while back there was a thread about boots....abodyjoe made mention of the Timberland boots he wears, but they are not insulated. Been working on thinning the sides of our roads. Right now the road is covered with a 3/4" thick sheet of ice that will probably be there until March or so...The boots I am wearing now, an older pair of Dunham boots just are not cutting it....my feet are like blocks of ice after standing in the snow/ice for a couple of hours....So what do you folks wear to keep your feet warm & toasty while outdoors.....

I realize that good foot ware is not cheap, have not spent under $150 on a pair of uninsulated boots in a very long time so don't be bashful if what you suggest is going to cost some coin.....

Well seeing all my time is spent outside I am in the same conditions you are Ink. I have had good luck with Red Wings the mining boot, right now I am trying out Thorogoods, seem they are holding up, and I have looked at oliver boots.au.com. They are Australian made boots and look real durable. I checked out their site and I like. You can get their boots through Amazon. Benefit for me is company pays for boots seeing I need steel toe and metatarsal.

Along with good insulated boots make sure you wear some wool socks or some synthetic sock.. Anything besides cotton... Smartwool makes some real nice ones. Not sure about work boots but I spend lots of time hunting and Sorel makes some good warm boots. I would go with something with a 1200 gram thinsulate or equivalent...

You want a good boot? Try Mickey Mouse boots or sometimes referred to as Bunny boots.

The one thing you must be careful of is not to tear the rubber. Wear a regular pair of socks and you're good to go.

I can sit for 8 hours with my feet on the ice when ice fishing, and my feet stay just as warm as can be.

The one drawback is they are somewhat bulky. You should be able to get them at a local Army surplus if you have one.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com...te-mickey-mouse-or-bunny-boot-with-valve.html

I,ve also worn Sorel,s for the past 20 years Icefishing,snowmobiling and ATVing.I always get 1 size bigger for lots of toe movement,toes crammed together get cold quick.JMO. Oh removable liners too.

You want a good boot? Try Mickey Mouse boots or sometimes referred to as Bunny boots.

The one thing you must be careful of is not to tear the rubber. Wear a regular pair of socks and you're good to go.

I can sit for 8 hours with my feet on the ice when ice fishing, and my feet stay just as warm as can be.

The one drawback is they are somewhat bulky. You should be able to get them at a local Army surplus if you have one.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com...te-mickey-mouse-or-bunny-boot-with-valve.html

+1... Forgot about those.. Rated for -60..

+1... Forgot about those.. Rated for -60..

I never knew what they were rated at, but I believe that. Like I said, ALL day on the ice and when I come home and take my boots off it's like I sat home all day with slippers on, warm and toasty. I wear a thin pair of dress socks in them, no need for heavy bulky socks.

Yeah the white ones are rated for -60 and the black ones rated for -40... Not 100% certain but I believe that is right.. Just not sure if I would enjoy working in them all day..

Yeah the white ones are rated for -60 and the black ones rated for -40... Not 100% certain but I believe that is right.. Just not sure if I would enjoy working in them all day..

Same here. I am pretty clumsy when wearing big boots. Go figure, I used to be able to come to a stop on a sport bike and wait 5 seconds before putting my feet down yet I trip over my own feet. Will be stopping at the Surplus store in Spokane tomorrow to at least look at them, will also be looking for some Sorels. Thanks for the advice folks....sure my feet will appreciate it.

I have a couple pairs of Danner boots. I think they are the best made. The insulated pair (description below) are so well insulated my feet will get too warm on average winter days. That's when I wear my non thinsulate lined ones. But when I want my feet to stay warm, they're great. Their sturdy, but not too bulky.

"Danner: Acadia 8"" 200 Gram Thinsulate Boot, Men's"
" Water-resistant leather, 1000 denier Cordura nylon and Danners patented GORE-TEX liner make the lightweight, 200-gram Thinsulate Insulated Acadia a great choice for mild climates or moderate activity levels. Made in the USA, the Acadia features 200 grams of Thinsulate Ultra Insulation. Danners famous stitch down construction provides a more stable platform underfoot and superior durability. This boot has a waterproof breathable GORE-TEX lining and a combination upper of 1000 Denier nylon and full-grain leather. The Vibram Kletterlift outsole provides superior shock absorption and great traction on both wet and dry surfaces. "« less

$289.95
TheFireStore
+$18.99 shipping. No tax

Spent some time talking to a fellow at REI today....ended up with two pairs of boots. One of them is apparently an older model, from 2010.....not that it matters....Baffin Edge, they were $119 marked down to $82.93. He has the same pair, said they are very warm. They had a different model, but not in my size.
I also got a pair of Keen Summit Country III's.
They are more of a hiking style of boot, hoping to start walking the lake side again here soon.....When I was trying them on he mentioned to me to make sure I had a good amount of wiggle room in the toe area. He said if your toes are not crammed together your feet stay warmer thanks to the increase in blood flow. Also suggested getting some wool socks...Going to try them out tomorrow, have a trailer full of lumber that needs burning.....

when in doubt you can always get a pair of battery powered socks , used to disc golf in knee deep snow with them in baseball cleats when I lived in Michigan .

Figured in a round about way they are shop equipment so.....

A while back there was a thread about boots....abodyjoe made mention of the Timberland boots he wears, but they are not insulated. Been working on thinning the sides of our roads. Right now the road is covered with a 3/4" thick sheet of ice that will probably be there until March or so...The boots I am wearing now, an older pair of Dunham boots just are not cutting it....my feet are like blocks of ice after standing in the snow/ice for a couple of hours....So what do you folks wear to keep your feet warm & toasty while outdoors.....

I realize that good foot ware is not cheap, have not spent under $150 on a pair of uninsulated boots in a very long time so don't be bashful if what you suggest is going to cost some coin.....

I'm at the other end of the scale here....it was 135*F in my shed today....it was 110*F outside, and the wind was hot....everything I picked up was hot to touch.
I put up with the 135 for 3 hours, and I got burnt on my shoulders, from the heat radiating down from the roof....I measured the roof temp....it was just shy of 150*F......then I went and measured the ground temp...it was just over 170*F.

If you get sick of the cold, snow n ice, come down here for a week.....then you'll be glad to see snow............by the way, It don't snow here.

Anyway, you be careful not to get curled up black toes now.

I'm at the other end of the scale here....it was 135*F in my shed today....it was 110*F outside, and the wind was hot....everything I picked up was hot to touch.
I put up with the 135 for 3 hours, and I got burnt on my shoulders, from the heat radiating down from the roof....I measured the roof temp....it was just shy of 150*F......then I went and measured the ground temp...it was just over 170*F.

If you get sick of the cold, snow n ice, come down here for a week.....then you'll be glad to see snow............by the way, It don't snow here.

Anyway, you be careful not to get curled up black toes now.

Yeah, just spend one summer down here in Texas and you will be begging for some snow...

-
Back