Insulating garage door

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
Im looking at insulating the garage door at my new house and am wondering what people are using. I thought about just cutting some 1-1&1/2'' foam panels but am wondering is the fiberglass stuff gonna have a better R value at that thickness. What did you guys do and how big of a difference did you notice?

Good question. What type of door might help. Mine is a coil or rolling steel door and I do wish there was a way to insulate it. I've thought about the spray foam ( icelene ) but if it prevnts the door from rolling up I'll have a mess.

Bite the bullet and buy an insulated door. You will be much happier in the long run. I have them on both my home garage and my shop door.

I insulated 2 wood garage doors last year with This

http://www.reflectixinc.com/images/uploads/3 diy rolls larger.jpg

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?Page=Double+Reflective+Insulation&PageIndex=622

Its available at lowes. I Cut the taller rolls to fit each horizontal door section. Installed using staples and taped the perimeter with metal tape for duct work. probably not as good as a good insulated door, but the door panels create a 1/2 air space between the wood and the insulation helping it work surprisingly well. Almost eliminated the condensation even on really cold days.

Our shop has a door that we used the 1-1/2 foam board and used spray foam and tape to hold it in. Big difference, the door is 13x20

Rigid foam panels work great; the only thing we had to do was make some straps to hold the panels in. We went a few years without the straps but once in awhile a panel would come loose and fall out. We added the straps and it has worked great since.

The rigid foam is a better insulator than fiberglass. Another product that is good is 5mm of foam sandwiched between two layers of foil. That product would need to be glued on though.

I did mine a few years ago. I measures from the exterior panel to the frame and it was 1-1/4". I bought some 3/4" and 1/2" foam sheathing with the foil skin from Home Defect, cut them to size slid them in and taped them with alum. AC tape. Makes a big difference and really made the door quiet.

I have a steel roll up door so after looking at the R-value and the cost I think the foam panels should do good. If I need even more later on I can still place a radiant barrier setup over the top and then it will be about the same as my walls. It looks like Ill have a slight gap between the door frame and panels in order to be able to slide them in so I will just spray foam then foil tape over that. About $12 per 4'x8' panel so the cost won't be too much either.

I used the foam panels with the aluminum barrier on both sides. I cut the panels so I could get the tightest fit, then used the spray foam to keep them in place and fill in the sides. I do like the idea of the tape over the seams. Mine as is has made a huge differance in the tep of my garage.

Do you have to retension your spring on a regular roll-up metal door after adding all that foam? I know each piece does't weight much but that's a lot of pieces, plus adhesive, etc.?

-
Back