Insulation, Peel n seal and other budget insulation ideas

-

cudajareav

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'ts now getting way to hot in Idaho for me and after having a baby i don't tolerate the heat as well as i used to, i also have to keep my toddler in mind. My barracuda is my mom ride :)

Anyway, I have a bare metal roof and I have heard a lot of good things about peel and seal.

based on the research i have done there isn't much information about it being used on a roof.

Can i use peel and seal on my roof of my car, tape the seams with foil tape and then also put a layer of that foiled bubble wrap on it?

and what budget items have people used on their firewall on the inside.

I've pretty much decided i'm going to do my doors and floor with the peel and Seal, it's just the roof and firewall i'm a little lost on.

Thanks!

foiled bubble has absolutely no sound deadening properties, only thermal insulation

Its funny, I was just describing my Dart Swinger recently and it went something like "...bench seat, four speed on the floor, no A/C...." A/C is taken for granted in newer vehicles it was a luxury back in the day. I just ordered the firewall insulation and undercowl insulation. The undercowl insulation looks like the old jute padding that goes under carpet, and the firewall insulation looks like fiberglass insulation with a pressboard backing. I am thinking this stuff could be home made if need be, and using the old pressboard backing as a template to trace and cut new. Although Mega parts has the new replacement stuff priced fairly good IMO. If you were to do a home made thing, I would try visiting carpet shops and get some carpet pad scraps, fiberglass insulation is at Lowe's as well as the pressboard. If you want it to look correct, you can paint the pressboard black.

Last edited:
I'm not sure glued insulation is going to work well with heat. Even OEM headliners have been known to droop and fail. Friend of mine claims of at least one windhshield that popped out of a fellow worker's car after a hard stop on a hot AZ day

foiled bubble has absolutely no sound deadening properties, only thermal insulation

I understand that the foil bubble will do nothing for sound, that's why I was considering the Peel and seal first and then covering with the bubble foil after on the roof.

I'm in the middle of doing my interior and went with a cheaper knock-off of the fat-mat / Dynamat but by a company called Noico. About half the price with free shipping on eBay, so I gave it a shot. I'm actually really pleased with it. It's the same 50mil thickness, is butyl rubber and doesn't have the strong tar smell the other cheap companies have, and has the foil backing.

I only did a sheet of it so far to see how it sticks because I'm still trying to get my center console conversion brackets put in right before doing the full floor... The amount I bought was 25 sq.ft. and looks like it will do at least the full floor pan.

Noico 50 mil 25 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, | eBay

Oh, before I found the Noico stuff I also bought a few packs of this Zirgo UltraMat.

UltraMat Heat and Sound Barrier Sheets | johnnylawmotors.com

I used it to do the roof because it is crazy light weight. It isn't a peel-and-stick. Used some 3M spray adhesive and then some aluminum tape I got at Lowes/Home Depot.

I decided not to use it on the floors because it felt too light (very little sound deadening). But the heat difference was HUGE. The car went from being an oven to comfortably warm on a 90+ sunny day.

IMG_1446.JPG

I'm in the middle of doing my interior and went with a cheaper knock-off of the fat-mat / Dynamat but by a company called Noico. About half the price with free shipping on eBay, so I gave it a shot. I'm actually really pleased with it. It's the same 50mil thickness, is butyl rubber and doesn't have the strong tar smell the other cheap companies have, and has the foil backing.

I only did a sheet of it so far to see how it sticks because I'm still trying to get my center console conversion brackets put in right before doing the full floor... The amount I bought was 25 sq.ft. and looks like it will do at least the full floor pan.

Noico 50 mil 25 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, | eBay
That Noico stuff looks awesome! I will most likely go that route for floor/firewall/doors.

This is why my Barracuda is white instead of the original black.
And why my 69 Swinger 340 4sp will have a white painted top and white interior instead of the original black top and interior.

IT GETS FREAKIN HOT HERE IN IDAHO !!!

Oh, before I found the Noico stuff I also bought a few packs of this Zirgo UltraMat.

UltraMat Heat and Sound Barrier Sheets | johnnylawmotors.com

I used it to do the roof because it is crazy light weight. It isn't a peel-and-stick. Used some 3M spray adhesive and then some aluminum tape I got at Lowes/Home Depot.

I decided not to use it on the floors because it felt too light (very little sound deadening). But the heat difference was HUGE. The car went from being an oven to comfortably warm on a 90+ sunny day.

View attachment 1715053329

You can get that same exact stuff a lot cheaper at a heating and air business.
They use it to line the ducting when making custom sections, and usually have a huge roll of it.
When I asked about buying some the guy asked how much I needed and gave it to me free because it was so little compared to what they use.

Just an FYI for anyone.

I used some stuff from lobocrod.com that worked very well. I have yet to install it in the Valiant as I'm not ready to get under the carpet right now. But I put it in my Dodge Ram 2500 as a floor pad under the vinyl, and on the firewall. It's great stuff and very affordable. If you want it to stick just use some 3M spray-on adhesive.

This is why my Barracuda is white instead of the original black.
And why my 69 Swinger 340 4sp will have a white painted top and white interior instead of the original black top and interior.

IT GETS FREAKIN HOT HERE IN IDAHO !!!

mine is still blue.. and i will be for a long time until i can save my pennies to paint it or it gets on the Overhaulin show. lol

They use it to line the ducting when making custom sections, and usually have a huge roll of it.
When I asked about buying some the guy asked how much I needed and gave it to me free because it was so little compared to what they use.

Just an FYI for anyone.
Yes look in the HVAC area of Home Depot , I bought a roll of their insulator and it worked very well.

Just an FYI for anyone.

Yes look in the HVAC area of Home Depot , I bought a roll of their insulator and it worked very well.

Wow, I hadn't realized they had jacked the price that much. When I bought it on sale I got 60sq.ft. for $24 shipped free...

Wow, I hadn't realized they had jacked the price that much. When I bought it on sale I got 60sq.ft. for $24 shipped free...
I did mine quite awhile ago, price was reasonable had enough to do back seat area and trunk but I spose as most things its more expensive now.

I used some stuff from lobocrod.com that worked very well.

" EZ Cool insulation is ...... closed-cell polyethylene foam core " honestly that may not actually be a bad idea. I sprayed my attic with 2-3" of closed cell. it got very quiet. I would imagine that it would mass dampen sheetmetal very well. its rvalue is pretty high ~6.5 per inch so a surface coat would only be . the downside is that its a mess before it cures and could be a pita when its cured and in the way.

Really though spray in bed liner or the like for mass would make things quiet too...

I did mine quite awhile ago, price was reasonable had enough to do back seat area and trunk but I spose as most things its more expensive now.

I think it got more expensive when bought as automotive insulation.:D
If I had heat problems and no head liner this is what I would use.
Cover the inside of the car with a drop cloth and spray the roof with 3M contact adhesive, then spray my precut piece already done with cloth and pop it in there. The stuff is so light I wouldn't have to worry about it's own weight pulling it down.

I think it got more expensive when bought as automotive insulation.:D
If I had heat problems and no head liner this is what I would use.
Cover the inside of the car with a drop cloth and spray the roof with 3M contact adhesive, then spray my precut piece already done with cloth and pop it in there. The stuff is so light I wouldn't have to worry about it's own weight pulling it down.
I’ve been researching what I want to do for insulation all throughout my Duster and found this older thread. Are you saying that if you had a car without a headliner (like mine), you would just attach clothe to the double bubble insulation with 3m adhesive and then attach the insulation to the ceiling with 3m and just use that as your headliner?

-
Back