Insurance Washington.

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm thinking of importing a vehicle ( I have done this many times)

The problem is I don't think I can put this one on my car trailer due to its size and weight.

The vehicle is close to Seattle Washington.

I live in maple ridge BC canada.

Like I said, I know the ins and outs about importing/exporting. But I have never driven my purchase across.

I know the plates stay with the vehicle, does that mean that it is insured?
Is there an insurance I can get while I am in Washington ( being a Canadian citizen)
Is there an insurance I can get in canada prior to buying this vehicle that would allow me to drive it if I did but it?

Any help would be great.

If someone is in Washington and might be willing to check the vehicle out for me, or has a way to possibly transport, let me know.

Gonna go out on a limb here as a Washington resident (and my wife used to work in the insurance racket). The state requires a minimum of liability insurance (you cause damage, your ins pays for it but doesn't cover the damage to your vehicle). Don't know Canadian insurance regulations but if you're towing the vehicle I would think your Canadian policy would cover you with the towing vehicle - but you should talk to your agent. Plates do not equate to insurance. There are lots of uninsured motorists driving around here. If you're stopped by a cop, you'll be asked to show proof of insurance (or face a fine).

If you're going to drive the vehicle, then insure it as the new owner with your Canadian policy - should cover you wherever you are regardless of the "rules" across state lines. Again, to your insurance agent about it. Around here, all you really need is a VIN to insure a vehicle.

Not suggesting you break the law but you could also roll the dice - you're not that far from the border.

Oh, and I forgot. If you drive the vehicle it needs to have current registration tabs (sticker) on the rear plate. You could be stopped and fined for that as well. If the tabs are expired, towing is the safest/easiest bet all around.

"Plates stay with vehicle"

Hasn't got a thing to do with anything other than transferring registration to and from another WA state resident. Nothing to do with insurance or registration to another state, etc.

I thought that if you already have insurance, if you buy another car that new car automatically has liability insurance for the first 15 days.

Thanks for the reply guys.

If tabs are expired, how do I get current ones.

Looks like this guy doesn't want to sell to a Canadian. Emails stopped suddenly, and he lowered the price on a new add. Frustrates me.

It's a one tone truck, so it's too heavy for my trailer. Otherwise, yes, towing is best.

-
Back