Intake Alignment

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm just about to bolt up an RPM Airgap intake on my fresh 340 build with RHS heads and noticed something. When I set the intake on with no gasket and bolt it to one side to measure the other side, I've noticed the gap isn't square (i.e. there is about a 10 thou difference in the intake/head surface gap from in front of the front intake runner to behind the rear intake runner.

Is this tolerable, or will this cause sealing issues?

I had an intake that did that.Turned out my block had been incorrectly machined.
However I didnt notice it til after I had installed an aluminum intake. It sucked air and was impossible to tune. Since it was late in the year, I yanked it and but a cast irion one on, with plenty of sealer.It worked for the rest of the season. In winter I stripped it down to bare block and had the cockeyed decks straightened out by a different machine shop. Then I put the AG on it no problems.
However mine was out way more than .010. Like .040. Im pretty sure the Fellpro gasket will handle that little .010
One more thing; did you try moving ,on the bolted-on-side,the intake ends, towards/away from the crankshaft? Sometimes you can shift the intake on the bolts to where there is a minimum of misalignment.Or perhaps the .010 was already the best it gets.

Good point. Thanks for the input. I hadn't tried moving the intake around yet. I was just messin with it last night while havin a beer in the garage after work. I'll look into it more this weekend.

-
Back