Intake and Carb Question 318

-

Ben440ny

Reaction score
Hello all,

Found a combo on Craigslist and wanted some opinions on the intake.

It's the Edelbrock 1406 Carb that I am looking for hooked up to a Edelbrock S.P.2-P318 Intake manifold. Also comes with the air cleaner assembly which is new in the box. Carb and Intake are used.

I have read mixed reviews on the S.P.2. ranging from "This is great for low end toque on otherwise stock engines" to "This is the worst intake manifold of all time." It's from the 70's and was designed as an "economy" manifold, but some people are saying the small runners make for great low end on stockies.

I have a stock 318/904 in my car with 2.76 gears in the back so I'm rarely screaming about 4,000 RPM. For $150, is this a good option to have some fun around town? I was thinking it might be worth it for the Carb and Air cleaner alone. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben

i dont know how it is in your area, but i got a brand new weiand 8007 intake for $75 bucks and a barely ran 1406 plus a 10" air cleaner in the box for $ 60 all off CL. ive never ran SP2P so i cant comment on it. i see those eddy carbs all the time for under 100 bucks.

I have yet to see a 1406 out here in LA for less than a hundred but I've only been looking for a month or so. I probably just need to be more patient. Thank you for the insight!

SP2P is an intake designed with small runners for the purpose of better gas mileage. Performance wise, a stock steel 4bbl manifold or Performer is a decent step above the SP2P. I guess it depends on your goals.

Right now, I just have the 2 bbl, so I was definitely considering it. However, I think I will just wait it out and see what else pops up on CL or the classifieds here. My goal is fun mid 14 second street car, so I probably don't want to limit myself with that manifold. Thanks again everyone!

Right now, I just have the 2 bbl, so I was definitely considering it. However, I think I will just wait it out and see what else pops up on CL or the classifieds here. My goal is fun mid 14 second street car, so I probably don't want to limit myself with that manifold. Thanks again everyone!

there are a couple 2176 edelbrock performers on here for 100 or less. thats what im using on my 318 . but im not racing it either

You'd be better off looking for a regular 2176 Performer, they are superior to the SP2P in every way, and are readily available used. The SP2P is worth it's weight in scrap. You won't run 14's with it unless you're racing down hill.

If it were me, I'd swap on a 1406, Performer intake, dual exhaust, swap rear ends, swap cams in about that order. That should get you into the 14's, and still be a fun cruiser that gets fair gas mileage. If you still have the original timing chain and sprocket, the cam swap makes sense when you have the intake off. The original cam sprocket is probably on borrowed time.

-
Back