Intake angle ?'s

-

wireweld

Reaction score
I am changing to a dual plane from a single plane.
My question is:
I will have to mill the intake, since my heads have been milled. Will a machinist be able to measure how much to mill the new intake by measuring the old intake?

set the intake on the heads without a gasket....do the bolt holes line up or are they above or below..?

between the orig deck height, deck milling, intake milling, head gasket thickness. the height of the V could fall anywhere. set the intake in place with gaskets (dry) & see where the bolt hole alignment is. If the bolt threaded holes in the head intake face are higher than the thru holes in the intake then a thicker intake gasket(s) is needed. If the holes are lower then the intake needs to be cut so the intake will be set lower in the "V". You would need to measure that distance along the "slope" and the intake/head interface angle & your machinist will do the math to see how much to mill the intake side faces. For a perf blueprinted app you can even up/square up the ports then make a horizontle swath of dykem across the top and bottom of the intake ports and the head ports then scribe a horizontle line across in the top and the bottom in the dykem and do a "turn up" on the 4 corners of the intake then mockup so you can see if the intake lines are above or below or even with the head ports & that is the distance you give to the shop along with head/intake face angle. set the intake & side gaskets down in there & you'll see the "turn up" that you need (top and bottom 90 deg scribes for each corner of the intake). eight of em on the intake

Always mill the intake faces of the heads when you mill the bottom of the heads. Otherwise you'll be fighting this problem over and over, plus if you mill the intakes they won't work on any other motor.

I totally agree with answer #4. If already too late refer to answer #3

-
Back