intake bolt sealer

-

Valiant72

Reaction score
What do you think is the best sealer to use on intake bolts. I used clear silicone the last time and it didn't work very well. I'm replacing the intake on my 360 and would like to hear what you use. Also is it better to use black RTV instead of the cork gaskets? Thanks.

Try some pipe sealer tape. Lots of it. Also, run a cleaning tap and a wire wheel on the bolts before you install them.

Black RTV where? At the manifold ends...OK, Good to go with that. It'll take awhile to cure up good.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I had a couple of leaks. I used RTV blue (didn't work). Tried RTV copper (no go). Now I'm told it "maybe" leaks because I've got lock washers on and the oil can wick up the treads and out though the brake in the lock washer??? Hummmmm, never heard of that before!:read2:

There should be NO need for lock washers on the intake manifold. Try out just plain old flat washers.

Duh! I put pipe thread on all kinds of threads and then I don't think to put it on the bolts. My only excuse is I'm about ready to retire. The RTV is for the ends. It's suppose to be a 100 degrees for the next couple of days so it should cure FAST. Thanks.

Or - try some old school nasty permatex #2. I still use this stuff in alot of instances - It works !

I use the liquid teflon pipe thread sealer the you brush on with the brush in the lid and it always works well.As far as sealing the ends of the intake try some of "the right stuff" it cures quickly and stands up to most chemicals .And the right stuff is great for sealing automatic transmission pans too.

As far as sealing the ends of the intake try some of "the right stuff" it cures quickly and stands up to most chemicals .And the right stuff is great for sealing automatic transmission pans too.

Can you give us more info on "The right stuff"? Manufacturer, store it's availiable in, etc...

http://inpcars.com/gasket1/

search for it here.....this stuff is EXCELLENT!! Napa sells it. :cheers:

permatex-g.jpg

Why do you need sealer on intake bolts? I can see the use of the RTV over the stupid end rail gaskets but you should need anything on the intake bolts...I've never used anything on them and never had a leak.

Can you give us more info on "The right stuff"? Manufacturer, store it's availiable in, etc...

I buy mine at autozone,it's pretty popular and most auto stores have it.It's more expensive that other sealers but it works everytime

I,m with Dusterb 318 I have never used sealer and was wondering what you were talking about. black rtv on the rails yes threads no.Sure youre not thinking about header bolts.?

Why do you need sealer on intake bolts? I can see the use of the RTV over the stupid end rail gaskets but you should need anything on the intake bolts...I've never used anything on them and never had a leak.

What he said. Ultra-Blue on the ends and thats it.

I have always used good old Permatex #2 on the intake bolts. As did the factory. A couple turns of Teflon tape would probably be OK but don't over do it. If you make the tape too thick, the bolts will most likely reach their torque value before providing the desired clamping load. Teflon tape is really designed for tapered (NPT) threads. The reason for sealing the bolt threads is to prevent oil from traveling up the threads and pooling around the bolt heads. The intake bolt holes are drilled through into the lifter valley. I always use a hardened flat washer under my intake bolts as well, with a little sealant on the back face of course.

As for the ends of the lifter valley, I personally always use RTV (and it is one of the few places I do use that nasty stuff). Heres why. If you have surfaced your heads and not cut enough off the intake faces the manifold will sit high relative to the block and the OEM style cork/rubber end seals may not be tall enough. If the block has been decked, or the heads cut and the correct amount of material faced from the the intake side of the heads, the manifold will now sit lower relative to the block and the OEM seals will possibly prevent the ports from sealing well. RTV will cure to the exact size needed to seal. Make sure the surfaces are super clean (Acetone as a final prep) before applying the RTV, and follow the manufacturers instructions exactly.

Now, if you are one of those misguided souls who runs an unpainted aluminum intake, masking tape will be your friend. Mask the ends of your intake, and about 1/8" down from the edge of the block. This way you can smooth the RTV with your finger, just like caulking. In fact you ARE caulking the intake with RTV. Then, after waiting about 20 minutes peel the masking tape and you will have a nice clean line.

I've never put rtv or anything onthe bolts before. Havenot had any leaks. Maybe I'll give the "right stuff" a try since the engine is out still.

What he said. Ultra-Blue on the ends and thats it.

I don't think they're listening DM. I don't seal the bolts either. Now the china rails.......... I used The Right Stuff. Finally, something that lives up to its' name.

How are the intake bolts in the lifter valley....they go into the head unless the oil that goes through the head to the rockers has the intake bolts protruding into that it's the only place I can see oil traveling up the bolts. This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone putting sealer on an intake bolt.....or anybolt other than a header stud or bolt for that fact.

How are the intake bolts in the lifter valley....they go into the head unless the oil that goes through the head to the rockers has the intake bolts protruding into that it's the only place I can see oil traveling up the bolts. This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone putting sealer on an intake bolt.....or anybolt other than a header stud or bolt for that fact.

Can't think of any other spot other than the two outer exhaust bolts where a sealant is required. There, I used a bit of plumbers pipe dope. Resists hi temps, natural gas, gasoline, antifreeze, you name it.

Are your bolts bottoming? May threads need to be chased...just thinking out loud. Hope you figure this out.

Jim

DSCN0830 (Small).JPG

How are the intake bolts in the lifter valley....they go into the head unless the oil that goes through the head to the rockers has the intake bolts protruding into that it's the only place I can see oil traveling up the bolts.

They don't actually go in the valley, but I know what he means, the intake holes are not blind in the head and they go into the area of the head that the pushrods pass thru. The theory is that being the bottom of the holes/threads are exposed to oil it can wick up the bolt and end up pooling in the intake. I myself have not had this problem but just because it hasn't happened to me it doesn't mean that it hasn't happened to someone else.

The only thing that I would offer on sealing the threads is that I would not use teflon tape. Some may end up in the engine and plug something. Best to use some sort of liquid sealer.

Chuck

Never heard of sealing intake bolts. Never did it, never had a intake bolt wick oil up the threads and pool. I would look at the bolt length real close and if it's actually sealing. Come to think of it, I really don't believe those holes go to the valley. Nope, they go straight through to the head and are open holes that exit in between the pushrod area right where the oil drains back out of the head from the rockers. Now that I have a good understanding of what's going on I would make sure the bolts are the correct length and mating surfaces of the head and intake. Have these heads been milled? I would think the oil is getting into the gasket area and then maybe coming up the bolts. I find it hard to believe that a non-porus material is going to wick oil in the opposite direction of gravity unless it's bieng pushed up the bolt for some reason. If the threads and bolts are in good shape they should have no problem sealing and keeping oil out. Just my opinion, I have been wrong before and may be now:):)

-
Back