Intake & Carb Install (Tips...Advice..Parts Needed)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Okay guys two fine members gave me great deals on an Edelbrock carb and a Performer manifold for my 318. I have never swapped an intake before so any tips would be appreciated. As for the carb I currently have a T-Quad so I was wondering what parts I will need for this swap. :read2:

Don't use the cork or rubber end seals with the gasket set. These seals sit on the front and rear parts of the block between the heads. They always get hard and crack and leak in short order. Use about a 3/8" thick bead of high temp silicone. Also, coat the intake gaskets around the water passages on both sides with the same high temp silicone. They are prone to seap water into the intake valley. this is one of the few times I ever recommend using silicone with a gasket. That's about all I can think of.

oh and the other thing is put thread lock on the bolts, for some reason oil likes to seep from them on 318's

I think the linkage will pretty much work unchanged. If anything, it will be small. I don't know about thread locker.....it's not a good sealer. But high temp silicone will work there too.

It depends on whether the carbuertor is Chrysler specific. If it is not, you will need it.

Before you put the bead of silicone down, set the intake on the engine and use a marker, drawing a line on the block along the front and rear of the intake. That will give you a good stop point for laying down your silicone.

The pass front, where intake meets head, can be a problem area so make sure you get adequate coverage.

RTV silicone sealants take a good 24 hours to fully cure. Be patient and let it cure all the way before adding any fluids and/or starting the engine.

Crackedback..........that dancing avatar is hilarious and pleasantly distracting.........what'll ya think of next?

Before you put the bead of silicone down, set the intake on the engine and use a marker, drawing a line on the block along the front and rear of the intake. That will give you a good stop point for laying down your silicone.

The pass front, where intake meets head, can be a problem area so make sure you get adequate coverage.

Who in heck is that on your avatar?

I needed that adapter when I switched from a Carter to edelbrock. Autozone had it on the shelf!

-
Back