intake choices

-

440abody

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a new cam in my car,and I am pondering a change in intake at the same time. So before I go any further I will provide you guys with as much info as I can. The car is a '73 Swinger with a 440/727, and engine is as follows : stock stroke 440 bored .030 and balanced, 10.3:1 compression ratio, Edelbrock RPM 84cc heads,TTi 2in primary tube headers, and currently a Torker II intake manifold with a Quick Fuel SS830 carb. The cam that I am putting in is a Bullet Racing Cams piece with 525 lift int/540 ext, duration @.050 236 int/ 238 ext with a 107 c/l. Converter is a Coan 2800-3200 stall with 3.55's with a 27 in tall tire. This is a street car!

I know that the Torker II is NOT the best choice for an intake, but when I put the car together 9 years ago I wanted everything under the stock hood and that was the shortest manifold. Well I have since changed my attitude about that, and I am willing to change the maifold even if I must cut my hood for the cause.

So now for the 64,000 dollar question.....what intake is THE BEST choice for the job? Eddy RPM, Mopar M1 (single plane), Indy 440-2D, Holley Street Dominator, some older design, or just leave what I have alone.

Thanks for the info and all the help in advance!

user_online.gif
progress.gif

Attachments

• winkler3.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 368
IMO I really think a RPM is what you'll like on top.

I just picked up an original Torker 383 for my big block buildup. It scored a good bit better than the Torker II in that intake shootout Hot Rod did. It looks cool, too.

that is the most factory appearing 440 dart i have seen in a long time. whatever you decide, i would stick with a dual plane

Holley strip dominator is much shorter than a mopar M1 so it would probably work with what you have without cutting hood. Really nice intake for coming out 25+ years ago.

RPM performer, will loose slightly to the M1 and torker at the top end (couple hundred RPM) but smoke em on the bottom also be easier to tune. Nice build BTW.

Read it for yourself. The old Torker I was talkin about was VERY competitive. Although they tested a 383, the 440 would have similar results. Those old intakes can be had for a song. Oh and it was right in line with the RPM. The RPM didn't "smoke" it at all.

i hated my torker II with a passion with my purpleshaft 292 cam i had on my old set up im trying a weiand team g on my next project ive heard alot of good things about the only drawback is their tall

The mags article is not a fair compare. The peramiters (sp) of the engine are far different than his. The cam is much smaller, ([email protected]) the gear ratio/tire size is street, 3.55/27", this is a dual plane intake engine. The Holley "Street" Dom. Would be the only single plane I would even look at. I also own and run one.

RPM all the way. They make more avg power and do not lack on the top end. I tested this "Victor vs RPM" thing on a 470. We made about 10 pulls with the Victor and 7-8 with the RPM. The top end power was the same, at the same rpm(6100), made 600hp. But the torque was the bi difference. At 3000rpm, the RPm made 30tq more, peaked a little lower and made on avg more power. The RPM and Victor will support the same amount of top end power, but the RPM will make more power below peak TQ.

i hated my torker II with a passion with my purpleshaft 292 cam i had on my old set up im trying a weiand team g on my next project ive heard alot of good things about the only drawback is their tall

I got a 383 Weiand Team G I'll sell ya. PM Me

man don't cut your hood. your hotrods engine bay is too damn nice. fine some other intake that is better and still fits the air cleaner under the hood.

Thanks for the compliment, but if I go to a dual plane there is no choice in the matter, they just flat out will not fit. It took alot of tries opening and closing the hood with the aircleaner and modeling clay to get the right height. The air cleaner looks stock but even it has been modified with a drop base from an after market one welded in to the bottom. So don't fret about the hood, I have a plan. If I decide to use a dual plane and have to do the deed, I will be installing a hood scoop from a 67 B-body like the RO/WO cars and paint it body color. I feel that particular one will work with the fairly angular lines of the car, and will not detract from the overall look of the car....I hope.

you can always pick you up another hood to punch a hole into. then if or when you decide to go back you can pull out your fresh flat hood.

I still say try the holley street dominator. They still make them new for the RB engines. Discontinued for the low deck. They are a great intake and shorter than most two planes.

Not as tall as a victor. I have the team g that I am putting back on my 383. It ran good with it.

Wow that looks clean and factory under the hood. I really like a clean factory look!
I vote Edel RPM based on all the manifold shootouts I have seen and the idea of street drivability and torque range.
M1 or original torker based on the same, would be my second choice depending on height space. RPM and M1 are pretty tall I think..

You can always put spacers betwen the body and K member to gain some clearance.

-
Back