Intake exhaust prep

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you use a sealer on these manifolds and what kind is preferred ?
I have used copper spay but on this aplacation where you have intake and exhaust all one matt.
Or is it going to be the Indian sealer 8)
Thank you for your tec help again :happy10:

Maybe just the gasket and no sealer? You are basically running a stock slant exhaust manifold that has been modified, correct? If so, that should seal up fine, the intake should too. If you had a header, it may requrie sealer. I had a 69 Dart with a Offy intake and headers and if I remember correctly I didn't use any sealer and it was fine.

Indian sealer?? :scratch:

Indian head gasket sealer is a thick dark goo that seals, like perma tex for valve covers, thermo stat housings etc...

Good for head gaskets and exhaust gaskets, excellent for metal gaskets.

Mike
Ill be home this weekend. DONT USE ANYTHING. I have the thick Aussie gaskets in stock. Use one of them. You should even be able to reuse it on your new head.
Frank

8)
Mike
Ill be home this weekend. DONT USE ANYTHING. I have the thick Aussie gaskets in stock. Use one of them. You should even be able to reuse it on your new head.
Frank
I borrowed a torque wrench today and have the NAPA sold FEL-PRO in hand and will save the one you have for your head :cheers:

So as I thought nothing :happy10: is best is what I am seeing , I have used the Indian sealer real sparingly but This is my first slant 8)

I need to get the Torque wrench back to the owner Frank, Will I be ok here.
And yes these are factory exhaust manifolds :happy10:

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 055.jpg

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 056.jpg

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 057.jpg

Maybe just the gasket and no sealer? You are basically running a stock slant exhaust manifold that has been modified, correct? If so, that should seal up fine, the intake should too. If you had a header, it may requrie sealer. I had a 69 Dart with a Offy intake and headers and if I remember correctly I didn't use any sealer and it was fine.

Indian sealer?? :scratch:
Here ya go Keith, It's been around many years and used on airplains to go carts The gasket I took off had it on one side, It glues the gasket in place on the engine and won't leek :happy10:
Old school I guess 8) But a good product :read2:

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com...dian-head-shellac-gasket-compound-613357.aspx

On that type of gasket (composition both sides of metal core) I have had good luck with the spray copper stuff.

Are you running headers or manifold on the exhaust?

Use either the Aussie or Remflex gasket. Anything else will just lead to a headache in the future. You shouldn't need anything on it but if you want to be on the safe side, just use black rtv spairingly. The gaskets are thick enough to not need them as long as the manifolds are flat when mounted together.

Mike
if it doesnt seal (and it probally wont) you can glue two of the stock manifold gaskets together. This should get you by for awhile.
Remember that the manifold " FLOATS" on the head and needs to move. If you torque it down the exhaust manifold WILL crack.
So did you find a torque wrench that would go down to 10 ft/lbs ?
Frank

Mike
if it doesnt seal (and it probally wont) you can glue two of the stock manifold gaskets together. This should get you by for awhile.
Remember that the manifold " FLOATS" on the head and needs to move. If you torque it down the exhaust manifold WILL crack.
So did you find a torque wrench that would go down to 10 ft/lbs ?
Frank

Yes I got a torque wrench Frank, But know that I look at it it does not go down to 10lb's, I will bring it back to him tomorrow
I think I am going to install this exhaust manifold :-k and try and figure out how and where to get a 2 1/4'' flange for a down pipe :dontknow:

So it looks like the intake and exhaust is on the back burner for a few days.

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 075.jpg

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 073.jpg

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 074.jpg

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0.jpg

Mike,

Since the heat riser diverter plate is gone, you could take the shaft out and just run a bolt through. Or leave it as is. Most slant heat risers froze up long ago, you won't notice the difference.

Also remember to keep the bolts that join the manifolds together finger tight (at most) until the manifold-to-head bolts are torqued.

Looks like you need to make a trip to a muffler shop for the down pipe.

Mike,

Since the heat riser diverter plate is gone, you could take the shaft out and just run a bolt through. Or leave it as is. Most slant heat risers froze up long ago, you won't notice the difference.

Also remember to keep the bolts that join the manifolds together finger tight (at most) until the manifold-to-head bolts are torqued.

Looks like you need to make a trip to a muffler shop for the down pipe.

Thank you Cheif :happy10: I will remember to keep the attaching bolts a bit loose, I did manage to run in to town and go through a bucket of flanges and found one :cheers: and just got back home.
These things are hard to find !!!
The old flange was 1 3/4'' id and this one is 2 1/8'' id a bit better :cheers: Should be about right for 390 cfm's

JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 076.jpg

Thanks Memike!
Just getting ready to do this to Fern!!
Cool Thread!8)
You are very welcome 63dart170 :happy10:
I sure am enjoying your four door A bodies :cheers: Very nize =P~

Mike
Sounds like you are making progress. I made it home last night so I can come up if you need me to.
Spray copper between the gaskets is fine. I would fix the flapper(and use the correct one) for better starting. I can help you with that. May even have a better manifold.
Frank

Mike
Sounds like you are making progress. I made it home last night so I can come up if you need me to.
Spray copper between the gaskets is fine. I would fix the flapper(and use the correct one) for better starting. I can help you with that. May even have a better manifold.
Frank
Thank you for the offer Frank :cheers: But I think I can handle this just fine bud 8)
The older manifold that came off Victoria the heat riser is stuck bad!!and there is no spring :-s and is very old and like you said earlier prone to crack :-k The newer one is an upgrade with reinforced ribs and only is 2 lb's heavier. Why should I put the older one on ?
I have the white one all tapped and cleared all the threads.
I was thinking of no flow restriction and a newer manifold .
But I am not ready to install the intake yet, I still want to complete my fresh air box and starter heat shield

You do realize that this thread is older than the stains in my underwear....

-
Back