intake gasket problem,,,,,,help please........

-

prodart340

Reaction score
just got the new stroker up and running {thanks Neil,aka catsncudas} and after the first trip out, it seems the intake gasket "let go" on one side. Upon a prompt tear down, I'm thinking of getting a thicker gasket than the ultra seal set I used. Anyone got any good reccomendations? I saw that MP makes one that is .050 thick. What do you guys think? The ultras were only .040. Thanks, Mike

I'm thinkin they need to be retorqued a few times after drivin the car..it's common for them to get loose after the engine goes thru some heat cycles

What is the deck height of the motor? Or was the heads cut. Sounds like you might need to get your intake cut. To match the height of the heads, set the intake on dry it should set close to if not against the heads. The lowere the heads are on the block the closer they move together. so you will need to narrow the intake. Also the front and back will need to be cut. Or if you bought the intake used , is it for a 9.56 deck which is stock. or was it cut for a decked block.

How about the deck height do you know what it is ? and did you try the intake dry and check it with a feeler guage. I had a block with a 9.00 deck. Stock is 9.56. that was .56 which is more then 1/2 inch. Check out the diffence in the space between the timing cover and the heads below. the first pick is a 9.00 the second is a 9.56. Look at the intake how far it had to be cut. That decked block was a 4 inch stroke 428 .The 2nd is still a 4inch stroke ???

Attachments

• batten1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF0092.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 243
Were those the Mr. Gasket gaskets? If so I had problems getting them to seal on my 360. Torque'd them down after each run cycle until they were as tight as needed and they still leaked. I replaced them with Fel-pro's and had no more trouble.

I use the Ultraseals pretty much exclusively. I havet had any issues with them not sealing or moving. If you installed the intake... Could you start the bolts easilly by hand? Did you use end seals or silicone? Are you certain the surfaces were oil-free, not just clean? Usually I have a bear of a time getting the gasket off once it's been run... They stick really well normally.

If you're having problems getting the ports to seal, you could try a set of gaskets with the printoseal, like Fel-Pro Q1213S3. They have a rubber coating across the gasket, a bead around all the ports, and are spec'd at .065 thick. They're a few bucks more than the standard embossed blue Fel-Pros.

FEL-1213S3.jpg

thanks guys, I think I'm going to try the fel-pro printoseals first. No sense in cutting an intake if I don't have to

If you're having problems getting the ports to seal, you could try a set of gaskets with the printoseal, like Fel-Pro Q1213S3. They have a rubber coating across the gasket, a bead around all the ports, and are spec'd at .065 thick. They're a few bucks more than the standard embossed blue Fel-Pros.

FEL-1213S3.jpg
These are really good gaskets and should seal it. If you have it off check the clearance before the install .

-
Back