Intake Gasket- Roll Pin or Dowel?

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was planning on using the cork gaskets on my stock 1969 340 intake. The machine shop didn't return my front and rear dowels. I purchased 3/16 dowels but they are too loose. Does anybody know if these are supposed to be 3/16 roll pins? Thank you.

Even if the pins aren't a press fit, they aren't going anywhere. You could just score them with a punch/chisel and hammer to tighten the fit in block holes.
You don't want to use the pins or the cork anyway, especially with a different from stock intake. Even with a stock intake, silicone replacing the cork and pin creates a single piece anchored seal.
Look at your cork. The pin hole nearly cut it in two right ?

Most people do not use end gaskets, use rigid high temp silicone sealant. Both surfaces must be oil free (wiping it with a white rag) and clean (use alcohol) and must be assembled quickly.

Do away with the pins and cork gaskets because if the block or heads have been surfaced, those with leak. As stated above, use high temp RTV silicone. Run a bead front and rear, let is skim over (just a few minutes) and then install the intake and torque it down.

Throw the cork and pins away and use RTV unless you are building a 100 point car.

-
Back