intake gaskets (and should i block the heat crossover)

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
so I bought a felpro gasket kit for my 75 360
it came with 2 sets of intake gaskets, one steel one fiber (or whatever that cardboard stuff is)

im using a weiand action plus aluminum intake
what gasket should I use?

and would it be a good idea to fab a little block off plate to close the heat crossovers going into the manifold (I was thinking 3 thou shimstock)
or is that best left alone?

Use the ones that have the larger ports. The steel ones are for the small ports. I cut a small piece of sheet metal to block the cross-over, but that is me.

Block the heat cross over if the car doesn't see chilly weather. Otherwise, warm up times will be extended and drivability may suffer until the engine thoroughly warms up.

I will drive it in the cold, not in the snow but I think I should be good

do I count on the gaskets to keep the block off plates in place or should I put a dab of RTV on there?

I would use a little thicker that .003 something around .008 to.010. If your going to drive it it under 50 degrees more than just a few times I would still use the block off shims with a 5/16" hole on each shim. If your going to drive a lot under 50 and into freezing weather and using a choke just leave it open. I would RTV it in place.

I like the idea of punching a little hole in there
I have whatever size shim stock needed at my disposal so I can do 8 or 12 thou just as easy as 3, the only reason my first thought was 3 was to keep gasket distortion to a minimum

-
Back