Intake gaskets "Printoseal" orientation?

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i got a set of Fel pro intake gaskets for my SB. These are the "printoseal" ones with a layer of sealant on one side of the gasket, around the ports. Which direction is correct? The sealant to the head or to the intake? Does it matter?

Both parts (head / intake) are new parts with no scratches etc., so i expect a good sealing.

Thanks for Info!

Michael

I would say put the sealant part towards the head as it will keep the gasket from slipping when you put the intake on.

Hi Guys,

i got a set of Fel pro intake gaskets for my SB. These are the "printoseal" ones with a layer of sealant on one side of the gasket, around the ports. Which direction is correct? The sealant to the head or to the intake? Does it matter?

Both parts (head / intake) are new parts with no scratches etc., so i expect a good sealing.

Thanks for Info!

Michael

The printoseal goes to the intake.
Flat side to the head.
I use Edelbrock gaskacinch to seal the gasket to the head.
Then I use RTV on the water ports, on the intake sides, and a big bead for the ends.

Attachments

• Picture 271.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 485
The printoseal goes to the intake.
Flat side to the head.
I use Edelbrock gaskacinch to seal the gasket to the head.
Then I use RTV on the water ports, on the intake sides, and a big bead for the ends.

Install it just like the picture shows, and yes use gaskacinch to seal the gasket to each head--or Indian Head, Hi-Tack, etc. Leave the print-o-seal side DRY. No need for any rtv expect on the end rails on the engine block. This way those intake gaskets last for years even during intake swaps. The gaskets stay on the heads and you can remove and re-install the intake or a different intake without changing the gaskets. It works and no leaks or mess.

Print-o-seal also have those gaskets with a steel core in between, part numbers end with an S. Cost $10 more but gaskets never split form over tightening the intake bolts.

If the intake ports will only seal using rtv, then the alignment is off. The intake surface or the heads need to be milled. Once its correct there be no gaps, top or bottom of the ports. Use a feeler gauge around .010 to slip between the front water ports while lightly pressing down on the intake. The feeler gauge should not slip in anywhere, top or bottom, if so something is off and rtv around the ports is the half *** fix that might work but for how long, rtv and gasoline don't go together, rtv turns to jelly after awhile.

...........The very 1st thing u should do is put the intake on without the gskts and see that the angles are the same.......if its off u will need to mill something to make it proper.....as said b4 if u need silicone or any other kind of sealer around any ports , something is off.......kim........

I did a bunch of research/reading when I first installed a set of those. Even looked at Ford and Chevy forums.
I put everything I learned in a thread here somewhere. The install turned out perfect.
Hope this helps

-
Back