Intake Gaskets

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
For the life of me I can't remember which way the intake gaskets with the silicone seal around the ports goes on. Silicone to the intake or to the heads. Thanks

For the life of me I can't remember which way the intake gaskets with the silicone seal around the ports goes on. Silicone to the intake or to the heads. Thanks

pretty sure silicone up to the intake but i could be wrong and im sure somebody else will chime in soon

I put the silicone seal that is around the ports up and just use copper coat on the bottom side or nothing at all straightlinespeed

I use gaskacinch on both sides of my intake gaskets and then a dab of rtv in the corners....

Ok, hopefully a few of you are still subscribed to this..

Did the first start on the car today. I have a very slight water leak on the passengers side front of the block. As the engine warmed it seemed to slow more and more. The car is now cool and I can only see where the water was at. Do you think I should pull the intake again and reseal it, or do you think it will stop leaking water?

Don't forget to use RTV around the water ports on both sides of the gaskets. I only use Copper Coat on metal gaskets. Composition gaskets will soak it up and it becomes useless as tits on a boarhog.

Good info, gonna be doing intake gaskets on Dads 273...I gotta dig for part numbers. 2 local jobbers here come up empty.

Don't forget to use RTV around the water ports on both sides of the gaskets. I only use Copper Coat on metal gaskets. Composition gaskets will soak it up and it becomes useless as tits on a boarhog.

Damn it I didnt! Looks like I need to order a new set of gaskets... again.. Grrr!

I have reused felpros several times. And with no sealer whatever except the standard silicon-in-the-corners.
Have you tried retorquing?

Yes, I did check all the bolts just to be sure.. They were all still torqued to spec.

I used RTV on the intake side and copper on the head side of the gasket. I think the RTV is going to inhibit me from reusing them. So I better get another set on order just in case. Damn that is frustrating.

Damn it I didnt! Looks like I need to order a new set of gaskets... again.. Grrr!

Did you put RTV on the threads on the intake bolts too? If not, oil will migrate up them and pool on the intake. Those intake bolt holes go through to the valve cover area inside the heads and need to be sealed.

Good for you. Do those gaskets have the silicone around the water ports? You might be ok. Try it and see. If you see no outside leaks or any water mixing in on the dipstick, you're probably ok.

That's why I always do it regardless. Because if you get an inside leak into the intake valley, it does not take much to dilute the oil enough to spin a rod bearing.

That would suck.

Good for you. Do those gaskets have the silicone around the water ports? You might be ok. Try it and see. If you see no outside leaks or any water mixing in on the dipstick, you're probably ok.

That's why I always do it regardless. Because if you get an inside leak into the intake valley, it does not take much to dilute the oil enough to spin a rod bearing.

That would suck.

Yes, its the gaskets with the silicone bead. I checked the oil as soon as I noticed it and thank gosh there is none in there! Keeping my fingers crossed, it didnt find its way in.

It will probably be fine. That's just an extra step I take as a personal preference. I worked at the local Chevy dealer when the 2.8 and 3.1 GM V6s were popular. They leaked water into the engine from the intake gaskets like a drunk pissin on the sidewalk. Replaced a LOT of short blocks under warranty because of spun rod bearings from that.

RRR hit the nail on the head. Several years ago I quit using the end gaskets all together. I lay a bead of ATV across the block and up around the water ports. I also run a bead from the corners up around the gaskets on the top side. Also Copper Coat isn't intended on paper gaskets.

..........I firmly believe that if u have to use a sealer around the ports anywhere on an intake swap the gaskets are NOT the problem, find what is wrong and correct it...I have never used any kind of sealer and have never had a problem in 40 years and hunderds of engines...........kim..........

..........I firmly believe that if u have to use a sealer around the ports anywhere on an intake swap the gaskets are NOT the problem, find what is wrong and correct it...I have never used any kind of sealer and have never had a problem in 40 years and hunderds of engines...........kim..........

Well you have been damn lucky! With 40-50 year old parts, swapping intakes, resurfaced heads and intakes, water erosion, bolting aftermarket aluminum intakes sometimes 40-50 years old? Yes my friend you have been damn lucky!

What's wrong with a little extra insurance? I say nothing, but yall do what you want to with your own cars.

RRR hit the nail on the head. Several years ago I quit using the end gaskets all together. I lay a bead of ATV across the block and up around the water ports. I also run a bead from the corners up around the gaskets on the top side. Also Copper Coat isn't intended on paper gaskets.

No these are not those gaskets. These are the intake gaskets. I am using a bead of RTV across the ends.

What's wrong with a little extra insurance? I say nothing, but yall do what you want to with your own cars.

I agree, I would rather have it there just to be safe.

-
Back