Intake help

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I have a question after talking to my engine builder the other day he told me that if I change my intake manifold fromthe RPM air gap to a Victor Jr I would gain 30hp. Any thoughts or ideas ???

Thanks Oz

If the combo is built-up enough to take advantage of the higher rpm flow potential - it might. BUT, more peak HP doesn't necessarily make a car faster. It's the "area under the curve". It's basically the average HP within the rpm range it will be in as well as the torque curve.

You'll get more and better opinions if you include the entire combo that you want to use the intake on.
If correct for the application of not, switching from a dual plane to a single plane will require changes to the carb tune-up to optimize it.

On a j headed or factory headed combo I would be very suprised! That is a big claim that I haven't seen backed up. The Air Gap is a great intake and I have seen it make power on many Chrysler small blocks.
What are the basics of the proposed combo? Or is it the current engine in your wagon? Your wagon does 11's or 12's from memory, I remember seeing it at the first Mopar Rumble.

I know on the last one I did, a OOTB RPM made a bunch more tq throughout the range, gave up about 8hp up top to a ported victor340 with same carb jetting.

If you aren't running a bunch of converter, I doubt the victor would be a benefit and DEFINITELY stay away for the super victor.

The other thing a lot of people don't do is throw some carb at a dual plane. 830 Annular, 850 DP, 950HP, 825 Mighty Demon all go well on a 360 of reasonable tune on a 360 with an Air Gap. Same engine with a Victor or an M1 I would be running a 750HP carb with.

Hi Guy's

I haven't even run the combo yet......I hope to in the next week or 2 fingers crossed.....We now have a 360 stroker with ported J heads flowing 259 inlet & 168 Exhaust, comp is 11.5, carb is 750 & inlet is RPM air gap from old set up, New Trans & 4200 converter, new 9 inch with full spool 3:9 to 1

We were running 12.8@108, 1.7 60ft

I think before you worry about it, get some numbers. As they said, it may not mean anything depending on the package. I'd be interested in how it 60fts, and also what the trap rpm is.

I think before you worry about it, get some numbers. As they said, it may not mean anything depending on the package. I'd be interested in how it 60fts, and also what the trap rpm is.

G'day Moper

Yeah I just want to get back on the strip ot's been over a year....Spending $$$ isn't as fun as racing......I told him I was going to run it as is for awhile before we make any more changes.

Old set up wa hitting 5900-6000 at the finish line

Just have to run it & see what's happening.....I'm hoping for at least a secon faster engine guy recon's it should be good for mid 11's.

Cheers Oz

I don't think you will see 30hp difference. I ran the air-gap on my car for years, and I just recently switched to a Victor.

This is on a 410 small block, 10.8:1 comp, pump gas, ported Eddy heads (flow 293 @ .600), small solid roller cam, 727, 8" converter with 5000 stall, 4.10 gear, 3200#'s

My best with the Air-gap was a 1.49 60', 6.89 @ 98 MPH in the 1/8, 10.89 @ 121.7 MPH 1/4 mile. This was in GREAT air.

I after tuning the car the past year with the Victor, in just ok air I got 1.49 60', 6.86 @ 99 MPH in the 1/8.....but my car never goes below 5000 RPM from the hit of the throttle. I think the Victor would help if you spun the motor higher, but the air-gap is king on torque down low.

my car never goes below 5000 RPM from the hit of the throttle. I think the Victor would help if you spun the motor higher, but the air-gap is king on torque down low.

That's kind of where I was going too. If you sacrifice torque for HP, and you need the torque, you may not go any faster even tho "technically" it makes more steam. It's not that the Victor isn't that good. It's that the RPM is just that good.

Hey flyfish, was that the dual or single plane airgap? It looks like you are running a stock flat hood. If so, what intake, spacer,aircleaner is fitting under it?

I want to put a stock hood back on my fish and will keep the stroker under it. need to have a plan for the intake / aircleaner.

The Air-gap is a duel plane (I'm not aware of a single plane Air-gap). I used a 1 inch spacer with the hood in my sig with a dropped base air cleaner (1.25 inch drop if I recall)....clearance was REALLY tight. In fact, I have a dimple in the middle of my hood from my carb stud from the first time I closed the hood with the Air-gap on :banghead:. That pic in my sig is about 5 years old, I currently have a glass lift off hood with a Hemi scoop...no fitment problems there :D. I really need to get my wife out the the track to shoot some pics of the car with the new hood....kinda hard to do with all the little ones to keep track of.

I don't think you will see 30hp difference. I ran the air-gap on my car for years, and I just recently switched to a Victor.

This is on a 410 small block, 10.8:1 comp, pump gas, ported Eddy heads (flow 293 @ .600), small solid roller cam, 727, 8" converter with 5000 stall, 4.10 gear, 3200#'s

My best with the Air-gap was a 1.49 60', 6.89 @ 98 MPH in the 1/8, 10.89 @ 121.7 MPH 1/4 mile. This was in GREAT air.

I after tuning the car the past year with the Victor, in just ok air I got 1.49 60', 6.86 @ 99 MPH in the 1/8.....but my car never goes below 5000 RPM from the hit of the throttle. I think the Victor would help if you spun the motor higher, but the air-gap is king on torque down low.

From what I have researched I don't think the Victor would suit as the RPM range is higher then I am aiming for. For now I just want to run it the way it is will be interesting to see the difference form the old set up to the new.

Cheers Oz

If you haven't tried get a either good super sucker style or an open spacer on the RPM intake

A 2" open spacer will liven the Dual plane up, unfortunately I cannot for the life of me remember what gains I saw on the last 360 I played with on the dyno. A 2" super sucker made no extra power, but picked up 10ft/lbs across the range and cleaned up the idle and the engine's temperament across the range.
Let us know how you go.

-
Back