Intake issues with A/C V8

-

Hell_Fish

Reaction score
Has anyone used a aftermarket intake with a 273 equipt with A/C? Mine has swirl port heads, so later sytle intakes will work.
I thought that a Performer intake would do the trick, but I have found 2 issues.
1) The thermostat housing bolts at an angle unlike the factory intake. This would work with the compressor in place.
2) What do you do for a throttle cable hold down on a aftermarket intake?

What is a good choice for a intake?

Do you wish to keep the RV-2 compressor and brackets?

If so look for a used LD4B.

I been told there junk,but i used it for 500 miles or so,it seemed fine to me.I had it on a 78 cordoba,with all the factory stuff,ac,throttle linkage,etc,no problems.Now you can get a throttle bracket from magnum hp http://www.magnumhp.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40_45&products_id=260 they say its adjustable for different intakes.Or you can switch to the lokar throttle cable and stainless bracket like i have,if a hot rod look is what youre looking for.I have their kickdown cable too,but its not installed just yet.

fiberglass work 007.jpg

I been told there junk,but i used it for 500 miles or so,it seemed fine to me.I had it on a 78 cordoba,with all the factory stuff,ac,throttle linkage,etc,no problems.Now you can get a throttle bracket from magnum hp http://www.magnumhp.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40_45&products_id=260 they say its adjustable for different intakes.Or you can switch to the lokar throttle cable and stainless bracket like i have,if a hot rod look is what youre looking for.I have their kickdown cable too,but its not installed just yet.

I have that on my 56 pickup, but I want to use as much factory stuff as i can on th efish. Thanks

Hum, I thought the Edel. Performer would have any issue worked out being such a newer intake. I also happen to have an LD4B on my '79 - 318 in the Duster. It's the older style compressor, not the newer 80's smaller unit. All the '79 brackets worked fine.

Just a few things to clear up... this is an original commando engine. Factory 4 barrel. The original intake wont fit without drilling out a pretty rare intake. The issue with the performer it that the t-stat housing bolts on differently than on the stock or a most aftermarket heads. I didn't notice it until I bolted up the com pressor

you colud try to find a 1966 4 bbl 273 intake,
you could use a 340 stock intake, but those ports are much larger,
or see if you can eyeball a LD4B. I don't have air on my car,
but the t'stat housing is in the stock location.

I noticed that the pictures are of a non-A/C car. The correct thermostat housing for the factory A/C cars angled off to the driver's side of the car. This routes the upper radiator hose away from the RV2 style compressor. I had a tough time finding one for the Dart.

This is a before picture of the 66 Dart GT I restored. The compressor has been removed showing the thermostat housing more clearly.

66Dart pre-273.jpg

I'm not really sure if this is an option but, can you put a different t-stat housing on the intake? I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing what the problem is. I think there is a guy on here who needs the oddball intake and has a 66 up intake he might want to get rid of. Gib Warnick (I think; this was some time ago). Also, I think the consensus on this and other boards is that an LD4B intake is much better than the performer. And those are out there.

-
Back