Intake manifold decisions...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
3300 pound Scamp , 002-3 S S springs ,727 ... Basically a clone of the 380 crate 360
Has a GER 2800 stall ,that actually worked well ,picked a Turbo Action 3200 10 inch converter ..27 inch tall Drag radials ...
Would it be worthwhile to replace the Air Gap ,with a Torker 2 340,with the converter swap
? I doubt it ,just asking for honest opine.
Share your thoughts .

Agree
run it first with new converter and manifold you have now
one thing at a time
If you own the torquer then you could try it and report back but...
some people have been able to make them work with certain builds but...

Airgap is perfect choice.
I would have invested in a tight 8 inch convertor. Smallblocks like convertor. Thats probably the biggest single difference maker you could make.

Airgap is perfect choice.
I would have invested in a tight 8 inch convertor. Smallblocks like convertor. Thats probably the biggest single difference maker you could make.
I know this converter,very well... stall multiplication is well ,with known 4-6 percent slippage .

I hear ya. Been there done that with 10 inch convertors and smallblocks.
You go to a good 8 inch and the difference will astound you.
I would agree ,if the money shows up... meanwhile run what I bought.
Appreciate you're candor ,and honesty ..all..

I would agree ,if the money shows up... meanwhile run what I bought.
Appreciate you're candor ,and honesty ..all..

Thanks brother!
I have a habit of being brutally honest. And at my old age i am likely to stay that way.....lol
Not the sort to say something runs good if it doesnt, but will dish out a compliment if it does.

Thanks brother!
I have a habit of being brutally honest. And at my old age i am likely to stay that way.....lol
Not the sort to say something runs good if it doesnt, but will dish out a compliment if it does.
It's all good, I will not candy coat ,unless paint.

I built a mild cammed 360 for my 5200lb 4x4 couple years ago. A little head work, headers, ignition, etc. Started with a spreadbore, iron 340 intake. Ran decent. Swapped on on a torker 340 and a quick fuel 600 carb. Noticeably killed the low end,as you'd expect,but really pulled nice after 3200 rpm. Ran awhile and swapped on an Eddie rpm, with no other changes. Drastically improved bottom end over both intakes and pulled even harder then the torker. This wasn't a 1 or 2 horsepower difference on a dyno, but a feel it in the seat of your pants difference. Hope this helps

I would consider the Torker2 a doorstop as crackedback would say.

That's in long term storage now. Started on body work last week. :)

20180825_181832.jpg

With your combo, I would run what you have.
A Victor 340 may give you a little on the top end, but most likely not worth the money spent.

As said, if you have it already.....

The TorkerII 340 is for that underhood clearances people look for. It will (and did) work well enough in the street when you didn’t want to cut a hole in your hood.

The thing with that intake is:

It’s still a single plane
The rpm at which it makes equal-ish power to the rpm is very high
The RPM has out done it down low and up high is a no loss in power.
All other like single planes also fall into this category unless pushed. The M1, Holley Strip Dom, etc...
There not bad, just one upped by the RPM.

Every intake has a time and a place.... and a RPM band they will work best in for the application there are in use for.

On my 340 I had to replace the iron original intake as I was starving rhe motor at high Rpms. Put on a performer aluminum intake feeding my J heads and all was good after that. A night and day difference.

To the OP, did you mention what rear-end gear that you're running, or did I just miss it. I ran a gamut of intakes on my 73 Dart Sport 340. With a loose converter (TurboAction 3500 stall), and it seemed to like the Torker the best. I was also running a 4.56 Sure-Grip rear.

To the OP, did you mention what rear-end gear that you're running, or did I just miss it. I ran a gamut of intakes on my 73 Dart Sport 340. With a loose converter (TurboAction 3500 stall), and it seemed to like the Torker the best. I was also running a 4.56 Sure-Grip rear.
3:55 's ..leaning towards 3:91...

3:55 's ..leaning towards 3:91...
Thanks. I see no problem with your combo with those gears, although, I would lean towards the 3.91's. I ran 4.56s with a wide/tall tire combo and it LOVED the extra gear. It wasn't a lot of fun on the highway (get on, get off at next exit), but it sure loved the street...

-
Back