Intake Manifold Gasket Question

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
My son is about to install an Edelbrock Performer manifold on the 318 in his Dart, and we have the Fel Pro steel shim intake gasket set. My question is, does it matter which side the raised surface of the gasket is on, the head side or the manifold side..?? And I assume I can just use RTV to seal the gasket, right? I've always used composite gaskets in the past, so this is new to me.

The gasket will have raised areas that face down towards the head for a few bolt holes. It should sit without sliding down. Use plenty RTV Black in the water ports jackets, both sides of the gasket and the corner areas of the block/head/intake meet. TO prevent water and oil leaking. Place a little gasket material on the bolts to keep Oil from weeping up through the bolts.
hope that helps. good luck

Does it not say up or down? If not i always put the side that does have something stamped or written on it facing up, however, ive never messed with the steel shim gasket types so this may not work. But atleast its a starting point. As far as tge rtv goes, i use it inplace of the rubber strips they give you for tge front and rear of the intake. I would use some sort of sealer around the water jackets but idk if rtv is right for that application

I think I read that fiber gaskets should be used with aluminum intakes. It might help reduce corrosion, due to dissimilar metals and water flow.

I just got through putting a Performer RPM on a 318 small port heads. Only non metallic gaskets I could get in town were large port 340/360, which worked just fine.

-
Back