Intake manifold removed -Torque question

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I got my manifold off today and everything seems to be fine. Very clean in there. The install info from Edelbrock says don't use the cork gaskets on the ends but lay down a 1/4" bead of RTV. Any input on that approach?
Also, the Mopar small block engine book says torque to 35lbs and the install info says 25lbs. Which is right? Is it because of the aluminum vs iron stock heads?
What are the small tabs that seem to be attached to the heads?
Is there anything I can learn about the cam from this top view??? The gear where it meshes with the distributor/timing gear is blue...is there any signifigance to that color???
I decided to go with an EDL 7576 RPM Air Gap and put my 1406 carb on it. I'll let you all know how much difference it makes if I notice any. (Took off an LD4B)
Thank you all so much for your help, this kitchen remodeler will become a mechanic yet with y'alls help!

'69 Dart GTS 340

the metal tabs hold your end gaskets inplace i always use em and rtv i like the mopar gaskets the end gaskets are foam sealgood torque is 25 ft. pounds start in the center one side to the other working your way out

Just to confuse further...lol. I use 35 pound feet, center out. I use the RTV for end rails (Make sure its 1/4" thick all the way accross and TOTALLY grease and oil free. That means your bare hands leaving skin oils too.) The oil pump drive (the gear) is heat treated..So blue or blue/black is normal. The tabs are part of the head gaskets, but like was said, they impress into the cork end rails, and keep them from sliding out during use. Also, use a little brake cleaner on the bolt holes to clean out any oil or grease, then put some RTV or liquid teflon sealant on the bolt threads for the first 3/4". Then you dont end up with oil working up past the bolt threads and showing up grungy on teh ptreey new intake.

-
Back