intake manifolds

-

ir3333

Reaction score
it seems to be common knowledge that a dual plane will outperform a single plane on the street.
..just how much difference is there?
..i bought a '69 Dart back in 2000 that had a stock rebuild including cam with a single plane Torker on it
(which everyone says is a poor intake choice)
That 340 was quick and would squeal both 60 series rear tires for nearly a block?

It depends on which single plane you're talking about. The old Holley Street Dominator, for instance, is a single plane that comes really close to rivaling dual planes of the same era.

The Torker.......well.........does not. LOL

60 series what?....245,255,275
The dual planes generally pull up the low rpm torque, often at the expense of high rpm power.
Single planes generally flush out the top end power,often at the expense of idle quality, off-idle response, tip-in,as well as low speed torque.
Both generally work well in the midrange.
There are lots of exceptions.
Squealing your tires almost for a block, says almost nothing about the intake.
I sense an under-lying question

just wondering because this stock rebuilt 340 with the Edelbrock Torker had lots of bottom end and was quick.The rear tires were 245R14/60
i have been in stock 340 cars that would barely break traction with original dual plane.That dart did have 3.55 ltd. slip

Ive had 1 each of 69,70,and 71 340s.All were stock. All were dynomite with M/T3.55s or 3.23 autos.However all were low 14 second cars, on street tires, going 98 to 105 mph.
My 71 TQ was the sweetest.
From what I remember,the E-body LC340s of 73 were a little lazier, in stock trim.
If youre happy with your combo, dont sweat it. An intake swap, alone, may not make enough of a difference to justify the purchase price. Now if you have one laying around, thats a different story. When I was younger, I loved to swap stuff around, just to see what would happen.

Actually it was Rani's post that got me thinking about that old Dart with the Torker on it and how much bottom end it had.
So i wondered who else had actually used a single plane and how it worked street light to street light.
...Often times i think the cam is the culprit for a lazy launch

I have a stick, so I can launch where-ever. But I understand what your saying. I had an xcellerator singleplane before the AG. I wouldnt trade my AG for 10 of those Wiands! Ive had 3 different cams; 223/230*, 232/237* and the 292-509Purple(which I measured at 239*@050, but they tell me is bigger). None were lazy, with my 10.7 C/R.
IMHO a too-low Dcr is the most obvious place to look when the low speed operation is lazy.Barring obviously mismatched parts,and crappy tunes.
Lite to lite demands traction.

I ran a Torker340 (1st gen) on my last build and it worked great....BUT...I was running a 650 DP and 340 4speed with 3.91 gears and could launch at 2500 from a stoplight. Not so with an auto (unless you have a stall converter) and if you drive like you are over 21. The dual plane is a better street choice in my book.

-
Back