intake milling

-

35regal

Reaction score
heres the deal, nothing going easy on this new build,me and fishy 68 mocked up the motor to varify intake port alignment on my 418 , eddy head tunnel ram build, if you leave the .072 intake gasket out, the intake bolt holes dont quite line up perfectly. intake is to high,lets just say they do. so if the gasket is .072 ,would you mill .036 per side or .072per side or neither, the heads have only been milled.010, the block has been decked for 0 deck. .039 gasket, i wouldnt have thought it would be that far out. thanks for your 2 cents brian

.072 each side.

what intake gasket? most are .060 thick

but if the the intake holes still don't line up without the gasket then you'll need to remove more.

how much [in thousandths] of the bolt holes show?

im not sure what gasket brand, it one of those reusable ones, white in color. its probably sitting .020 high with no bolts in it

im not sure what gasket brand, it one of those reusable ones, white in color. its probably sitting .020 high with no bolts in it

are the heads bolted on?

if not, mill the intake face of the heads .020 each, then .072 off the intake.

remember 'if not pinning the intake for port alignment' a tit bit high is not bad, it will compress some .010 or so

You need to use the same formula for milling the intake when you mill the heads and or block. Mathmatically, it doesn't matter if the material comes off the block deck or the heads. Just add the numbers milled off the block and heads together and plug that into the formula and you'll have the proper amount to mill the intake. I don't remember the formula, but I'm sure it's easily found online.

Here, this is it: Combustion deck removal amount X 1.2 = Material to remove from intake port side.

it's per .0048 milled from head=1cc, and for every .0048 off the head.. you need to remove .0095 from the intake face, be it heads intake face or the intake manifold itself.

so you're off .0364 a side wether it the heads or the block deck, 'or even how the intake was cast'

OR .047 considering you are .020 high still

Man all that thinking is making my head hurt. I had the same problem on my 340 build. The block was decked 0.020 and the heads were cut from 72cc to 65cc. The machinst (a chevy guy) said we won't need to cut the intake side of the heads. Well guess who was wrong because the intake wouldn't begin to bolt down. So off came the heads for intake side milling.

i think i would rather cut the intake instead of the heads.

For every .010 off the head or block you need to mill .0095 from the intake per side, or intake side of the heads. This is for untouched heads and block.

For every .0048 off the head or block you need to mill .0095 from the intake per side, or intake side of the heads. This doesn't matter if the heads have been milled before or not, a 'cc' is a 'cc'.

FIXED
Now you are right...

and I'll add that 273-318 take .0053 for every ccc and .0095 for every .0053 removed..

FIXED
Now you are right...

and I'll add that 273-318 take .0053 for every ccc and .0095 for every .0053 removed..

I was right the first time. You are confusing how much to mill the block side to decrease the chamber by 1 cc. He is not milling to reduce chamber size. What he really needs to know is how much was cut off the block and if the heads had been milled before. At this point I doubt we are helping...

oh well...nevermind. LOL

you are lost, wtf r you even talking about?????

he's helped himself already.

Lets say you start out with a set of heads before anything else, lets say you cc'd / milled down to what you wanted, lets say that is 63cc fwiw. Lets say later on you get a block machined and set for zero deck with a particular set of pistons, lets say you now have the heads sitting head gaskets and an intake manifold and gaskets sitting on the heads....now you notice it don't fit 'holes don't line up' with the gaskets in place anymore, BUT it does without the gaskets= mill the gaskets thickness from the intake or intake face of the heads.....duh.

In his case, he knows not how much has been mill'd, if any, previous to his milling
so do the math backwards and you get a 'rough' of whats already been cut previously.

BUT AGAIN....HE KNOWS IT'LL FIT WITHOUT THE THICKNESS OF THE GASKET, SO HE SHOULD MILL THE .072 [OR THE GASKETS THICKNESS] IF THE BOLTS WILL GO IN.

where are you getting this for every .010 off the head mill .0095 from????????
total BS

BTW things change with thicker gaskets and aftermarket intakes, the last 2 new eddy intakes I've had didn't fit a 'stock 318' I had

I believe it's for every .010 off the deck it's .0095" off the intake flange. I just use 1:1. If the holes in the head are visible in the intake holes but not centered which way are they biased towards? If the holes in the head are not 100% visible you might as well just cut the intake because it's going to take more than .030 per side to fix. To properly align the ports and seal you should have the head bolt hole in the head visible off center and biased towards the top of the intake hole with no gasket. I use the Ultra Seal Mr Gasket pcs and that is about .045" thick. If you are using gaskets that are .072" thick you will need to mill more to make them fit properly.

I used this time and time again- http://www.mopar1.us/mill.html

and it's always been on.

btw most performance intake gaskets come out around .060 thick each.

victor and felpro, and some other company that makes the 'other' black mag int gasket sell .030 thick intake gaskets.
I try to stock both for occasions like these, I ended using a .030 on the 410.

you guys can also shim the head up, measure, then use the formula that way.

where are you getting this for every .010 off the head mill .0095 from????????
total BS

BTW things change with thicker gaskets and aftermarket intakes, the last 2 new eddy intakes I've had didn't fit a 'stock 318' I had

Chrysler Racing Manual. Where do you get "and for every .0048 off the head.. you need to remove .0095 from the intake face" ??? Hope no one is listening.

Mine was from a book by Larry Shepard IIRC. Really if we don't know what the block was cut to or how much the heads were milled it's not really relevant anyway.

heads were milled .10 , the block i think was milled .2o, i might try the thinner gasket just so it doesnt have to be milled as much. thanks im good now!!!

Cool.
as for .010 or .0048 or .0095.....there is almost a .030 widow of error woth the intakes bolt hole being that much larger.

good thing for that or you guys would be in trouble ha ha

it's per .0048 milled from head=1cc, and for every .0048 off the head.. you need to remove .0095 from the intake face, be it heads intake face or the intake manifold itself.

so you're off .0364 a side wether it the heads or the block deck, 'or even how the intake was cast'

OR .047 considering you are .020 high still

The edelbrock manifolds are sand cast and have a loose tolerance for the flanges. I always cut the manifold instead of the intake face of the heads. The heads are too valuable to cut more than necessary. Good luck with your build!

I believe it's for every .010 off the deck it's .0095" off the intake flange. I just use 1:1. If the holes in the head are visible in the intake holes but not centered which way are they biased towards? If the holes in the head are not 100% visible you might as well just cut the intake because it's going to take more than .030 per side to fix. To properly align the ports and seal you should have the head bolt hole in the head visible off center and biased towards the top of the intake hole with no gasket. I use the Ultra Seal Mr Gasket pcs and that is about .045" thick. If you are using gaskets that are .072" thick you will need to mill more to make them fit properly.

Since he does know how much he has taken off: .0095 x 3 = .0285
.0285 + .045 = .0735 or .074 or .075. What a coincidence... I guess you were right moper.

-
Back