Intake oil leak and 360's

-

cuda67

Reaction score
I think I am detecting a pattern here. This concerns me a little. I am about to start a build of a 408 and I want to use the roller block 360, 1993 and later. However, I read where FABO members, Mark Nixon has two 360's, 1993-up, that are for sale and both had this issue. Abodyhotrod has had this issue, leneller this issue and now GreenHornet??? Is something going on that I need to be concerned about? One of Mark's engines failed completely do to intake oil leak. Do I need to follow another path with my build? Is there a secret to achieving a tight seal that I need to learn? Please, help, I don't want to throw away money on a questionable project.

I just through a Torker II intake on my .030 over 1977 360 and have no leaks.I cut the corners of the cork gaskets(front and rear)and used RV silicone.

I just through a Torker II intake on my .030 over 1977 360 and have no leaks.I cut the corners of the cork gaskets(front and rear)and used RV silicone.

I appreciate your response. You are using the LA block and this problem seems to be occurring with the late model 360, 5.9 roller block, at least that is the engine Green Hornet, Mark Nixon, etc. are referring to. Maybe I'll have to reconsider using the 5.9. I just hope that some more guys, chime in. I know alot of folks have used the 5.9 and I hadn't heard of any issues with them. I just want to be sure before I start. I don't think that I will have a problem but I want to be sure and get some reassurance from more savy folks. I am an amateur at this:read2:

Where are they leaking?

If it's the ends, I have a little tip when not using the gaskets. I never use the gaskets, only RTV.

The top shelfon the block where the intake seals is pretty big/wide. If you covered the entire shelf, you're wasting RTV. Clean the block surface. Set the intake on the block/heads. Use a sharpie and draw a line referencing the edge of the intake. Look at the bottom of the intake for the width of the sealing surface. Lay a tall bead of silicone maybe 1/16 inside the drawn line and run it up, connecting with your intake manifold gasket.

That should give you a nice rtv surface to seal the ends of your intake.

Use good RTV like Right Stuff or RTV Black.

my block was decked, heads milled a tiny bit and intake was resurfaced. it leaks on the bottom of the ports thru the gasket. (sucking oil into the intake).
my suggestion is to if you have it decked or milled to take the intake and motor before you install it to have it matched by means of angle.(i mean cut the intake to match the angle of the heads).... i think the problem is the decking and aftermarket heads and old used intakes just do match up prefect, and must admit i skipped this step.... the price i pay was 4 wasted gaskets so far..

good luck my ride will be in the 11s next time out. oil or no oil in the intake.

Thanks, for the information. It is about what I was thinking of, a little more machine work to match the intake angle to the heads. I wonder at what point of milling the heads and block does it become necessary to the mill the intake to match? I guess a good machine shop can answer that.

Thanks again.:cheers:

-
Back