intake outlet for bypass

-

weezer

Reaction score
I have swapped my OEM intake for an Edelbrock on my 318 and I'm not able to get the fitting out of the old intake. I'm talking about the large outlet coming off the front of the intake just below the thermostat housing. The one that the short rubber hose attaches to that leads to the top of the water pump. Where can I get another one and what is the proper name for it? Thanks, W

Auto parts stores normally have them. All you need to know is what NPT threads and what size hose. A steel fitting with tapered pipe threads can crack a casting if over tightened. Good luck

For the later model engines the thread size is 3/4 npt. I've used a short piece of 3/4 pipe successfully in the past, just cut off a piece and thread it in with some sealant on the threads.

For the later model engines the thread size is 3/4 npt. I've used a short piece of 3/4 pipe successfully in the past, just cut off a piece and thread it in with some sealant on the threads.

The intake is an Edelbrock Performer #2176. Are you saying 3/4 inch NPT? Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks, W

I bought mine at NAPA. I believe it was around $7. The problem with a regualr pipe nipple is it doesn't have the lip on the end that that bypass hose goes over. One time, I had bought a used LD340 intake and somewhere along the line someone used a standard pipe nipple. I couldn't get the bypass hose to stop leaking. I tried to take that sucker out, no luck. I ended up putting a piece of rubber hose on the nipple that fit it snuggly and the OD was small enough to fit inside the bypass hose. It worked well.

edbux, thanks. That sounds like just what I need. Do you remember what exactly you asked for to get that? Is it brass or stainless? How long? Any other details you can remember? I'll go by NAPA today. Thanks again. W

yes national pipe thread, never had an issue with using a cut off piece, but then again there is always a first time. If you are uncomfortable using a piece of pipe go buy a fitting as suggested.

I think, it's been awhile, it was steel with zinc plating. I also think it was one of those HELP (or similar) packages. I do know I got it at NAPA. The Dodge dealers also have them.

On my LD340, I think the PO put an undersized pipe nipple in some how. I've known people who have done that in the past with no issue, so I didn't think anything of it until I actually put the bypass hose on it. Of course, I didn't do that UNTIL the intake was bolted down. It's ok, I always enjoy answering the parts guy's question "didn't you just buy a set this morning?".

edbux, thanks. That sounds like just what I need. Do you remember what exactly you asked for to get that? Is it brass or stainless? How long? Any other details you can remember? I'll go by NAPA today. Thanks again. W

The early intakes have a smaller bypass than around 70 and up. I`ve used a sink wrench to get those threaded nipples out where there`s little room.

-
Back