intake question

-

63 dart wagon

Reaction score
I was told all slant six heads were the same. But have to ask will a 225 intake work on a 170 with its exhaust? Also i was told they dont make a header for a 170. If the heads are the same why wouldnt they work is it that the 225 is taller? Thanks for any information.

Correct :thumblef: the block is 1'' shorter and yes the heads are the same from everything I have been told and seen :glasses7:

No headers for these great short stroke engines, but! a 2 1/4'' down pipe helps any /6 engine tremendously :thumblef:

Yes, a 225 intake manifold will work on the 170 with the 170 exhaust manifold. I can go as far as to say the 170 exhast manifold is identical to the 225, I'm 99% sure the same goes for the intake. The heads are the same, as you have been told.

The reason why they 225 headers do not work on 170's is because, as memike stated, the block is an inch taller to accomodate the extra inch of stroke. So why can a 225 exhaust manifold work on a 170 but the same isn't true for headers? Simple, headers or exhaust manifold, which one take up more room? Which one has more clearance issues in regards to the starter, steering colum and steering box, frame rails, a/c system, maybe even brake boosters?

Your answer is headers.

So in theory if you found a way to take out an inch. A 225 header could work? If you want to spend the time to modify.

So in theory if you found a way to take out an inch. A 225 header could work? If you want to spend the time to modify.

good luck... just make a header for the 170 and make a bunch of money...

Attachments

• 101_4399.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 132
All slant six intake manifols, and exhaust manifolds are not the same, but they will interchange, between engines. Different years have different features. Biggest difference in intake is the number of barrels for the carb, and whether alumin or iron. Biggest difference in exhaust is the choke pocket. Also over the years ribbing was added to help prevent cracking/warping. later manifolds had a provision for a 02 sensor. As stated all headers will fit the engine. The difference in headers is the body style they will fit. The Clifford shorties will fit any year any model with a 225 engine except a 66 or older "A" body with power steering. With power steering the front collector hits the steering box. The same situation is true with a 170 engine, the front collector will hit the steering box, even with manual steering. As far a I know there is no header made that will work on a 170 engine, without modifing it. The easiest way to modify the header is to cut the #1 and #3 tubes. Notch the #2 tube and bend the tube to raise the colector to clear the steering box. Then heat and slightly bend the other tubes into alignment and reweld. At least that is what I do.
PS: I sent Mark at Aussie Speed a used set of long tube 170 headers for an early "A", about 3 years ago, so he could copy them. I have not seen any of his or mine since.

-
Back