Intake stopper?

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
A little background: when I got my w150, the 318 ran alright but was an absolute dog, very little power, pretty much had to floor the thing to get it to downshift on hills. It was almost like a massive bog, but felt more like it was just lacking power. Fast forward 3 months later, I got a 4bbl intake and carb on the thing, and it has gobs more power than it ever used to. The carb was new when I got the truck, and was so small that I thought it was a 1 barrel, but it turned out to be a very tiny 2 barrel. Either way, left that carb on the intake and went about my business. Last night I took the cast intake off of my other 318, it's intake was in pretty bad shape compared to the trucks old one. Took the carb off of the truck intake, and there is a silver "plug", of sorts, in one of the 2 holes in the intake, right under the carb. It's obviously much newer than the intake. No holes or anything in it, it completely blocks that port off. Probably 1 1/2 inches or so tall if im guessing. Can get picks when i get home if you guys want them. I've just never heard of this kind of thing.

Sounds like an egr part. What year vehicle/intake?

I’d say it is an egr part. I had a 360 w/a TQ intake for the year. (79) On the plenum floor were two holes, 1 had a screw in cylinder with holes in it. Driver side iirc.

20180317_112359.jpg

Your welcome!
Well, I hope to learn something everyday!

allows some exhaust from the crossover into the intake, lowers combustion temp, hurts power, reduces nox

FIXED. With added info.
allows some exhaust from the crossover into the intake, lowers combustion temp, hurts power,
WHEN THE EGR VALVE IS NOT PROPERLY FUNCTIONING. THE EGR VALVE CLOSES DUE TO LACK OF VACUUM ALLOWING FULL POWER WITH UNCONTAMINATED AIR AND FUEL MIXTURE INTO THE ENGINE. PART THROTTLE POWER IS ONLY SEEN AS CRUISE AND MILD PEDAL APPLICATION BEFORE KICK DOWN THUS NOT EFFECTING DRIVEABILTY OR THE NEED FOR SERIOUS POWER AS IN PASSING, ENTERING AN EXPERSSWAY FROM THE RAMP, ETC....,
reduces nox

That thing under the carb is not an egr valve, an egr valve has a vacuum hose connected to it. Call it an egr part.

It sounds strange, but by diluting the fuel air mixture with exhaust the combustion temp is lower, reducing nox

Its weird but it also allows more timing as well.

-
Back