Intake

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Plans on pulling my nasty looking LD340 off this winter puttign new steel inserts in for the weak threads on the t-stat houseign and haveign it powder coated. But before I do all this work is there something better out there then this old design? I like the airgap but not sure abou hood clearance with a stock aircleaner.

I run a LD340 on my car. It pull really well past 6000rpms. Ive had my car up tp 6500. Ive been told the airgap isnt worth buying if you already have an LD340.

Does yours have the divider cut down ? Some do some dont. Mines cut and it helps top end power.

I'm running an Air-Gap intake on my Scamp works fine and didn't have any clearance problems.
It's only a little higher than the stock intake.

So in short if the cross over is to badly rotted out -told to look for that on them- Then an airgap would fit, if not powdercoatign my LD340 would still be worthwhile. Does the airgap need any special throttle brackets? And on the topic of the crossover in the LD340. Can you block them off?

divider cut down? How about a lil more info on that. I also run the ld340,
great intake to this day. I want to keep mine on for a lil nostalgic appearance with good performance. Would be willing to make it a lil better though.

See how the intake in this picture has the center divider cut.

7501_badge.jpg

Thats how my LD340 is only nit as much. Its cut about an inch and a half long and an inch down.

It helps top end power a bit. Some LD230s came from edelbrock this way while others didnt.

71Duster said:
So in short if the cross over is to badly rotted out -told to look for that on them- Then an airgap would fit, if not powdercoatign my LD340 would still be worthwhile. Does the airgap need any special throttle brackets? And on the topic of the crossover in the LD340. Can you block them off?

I am have an Airgap on my current motor and have one on another motor I have and I like it a lot. I have been told that the Airgap is the next best thing to the LD340, Airgap is usualy better for low end torque from what I have been told. As long as you aren't running any carb spacers you should be ok for hood clearance. You will not beable to use the stock bracket unless you modify it in some way. If you are running a Edel or Holley carb Bochillion performance has a good bracket. If you have a Demon or Holly Dominator there is a cool one one from AR Engineering that looks pretty cool.

Im running an airgap with a 1" spacer and a offset breather with a 3 " filter on my 68 dart and it just fits. The breather pushes the insulation a little but doesnt bow the hood.

The LD340 is a good manifold and like Adam said it will go to 6500 with no problem. I used to shift at 6300 with mine and have quite often run it up to 6500+. I have an Air gap for my new engine and plan on using the AR Engineering throttle cable bracket.

I am running an air gap on the fish, love it, looks good and really woke the motor up compared to the stock manifold. The swinger has an LD340, I have not driven it yet but I was thinking that maybe I might put an air gap on it eventually but you guys are saying the LD340 is a very good manifold, me thinks you guys just saved me some money, gotta love this board. Thanks

-
Back