interchangeable Duster doors?

-

mad dog

Reaction score
good morning, My 73 Duster has a bad repair job on the passenger door, i found a 74 door, are they interchangeable? i know that it will fit the car but im wondering about the inner workings of the door, is that the same as my 73? can i use the inner hardware and glass from my 73 and put it in the 74 door shell..thanks for any help and insight...Rich

It's my understanding that '73 doors on A-bodies are unique internally. Mechanical and glass parts won't interchange. A "loaded" '74+ door could be an option. I'm sure there will be me others more familiar with the situation.

I put 74 doors on my 73. The window mechanisms on 73 are unique so you need loaded doors, although the door latches are interchangeable

I believe you can take all your internals and glass from your 73 and put them in your 74 door?

Last edited:
73 door and 74 door I could not find the same side doors sorry
red circles on the 74 door is where the 73 stuff bolts up to.
The only difference I can fine is circled in yellow.
Anyone that knows these doors.
Blue circles on the 74 is whats different on the 74

What do you 73 74 guys think?

E55B82AD-CAD8-4D6D-952A-DAEB8C8300F7.jpeg

CBBC0695-96ED-4E4F-B847-75A98CE66AEC.jpeg

Last edited:
thanks davescuda for the pics... im still not sure that my 73 glass and hardware will bolt into the 74 door shell... i hope more will chime in...thanks again...Rich

The 73 guts are not interchangeable into the ‘74 door without some work.

The ‘73 door uses the older style scissor lift mechanism, the ‘74 up uses the center beam style mechanism and the mounting locations, mounting holes etc are different. Can it be done? Maybe. But it will definitely be more work than just bolting the ’73 guts straight into the ‘74 door, you’d have to locate all the mounting holes at the minimum.

There are some years where the mechanisms and glass interchange, but they’re not as common as you think, different numbers of holes in the glass, different mechanisms, etc.

Long story short, ‘73 is one year only for door glass and mechanisms. You can use any Duster, Demon or Dart Sport door ‘70-‘76 if you use the whole door and keep the internals with it. 73-‘76 will match the interior of your ‘73, but if you want to swap in the window and hardware another ‘73 door is your only option.

Thanks 72bluNblu, appreciate the response.. Rich

-
Back