intercoolers

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
been looking around for air to air intercoolers. what are people using on their turbo builds. my mill is a 360/410 stroker with s475, street strip. looking at a 24x12x4 (600x300x100) bar and plate. so many options. are the cheaper ebay ones any good.
i see that some are rated at HP and some on flow. piping is 3.5".

cheers

Hello,

Generally speaking bar-n-plate has more surface area for cooling and withstand higher boosted applications. They are heavier. Welded end caps are nice, but make the mfg has pressure tested the design. All those welds have to be perfect. Tube routing is where the science comes in so you can keep pressure drop to a min.

I would pick an intercooler based on psi/flow rate.

Here is a good link that explains it.

https://takemebeyondthehorizon.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/how-to-go-fast-faster-the-math-behind-turbocharging-part-7-intercooler-selection/

air to water frozenboost.com but im a drag car as well as street car. inlet air will always be water temp which will be cooler than ambient air any day of the week unless its boiling water. lol

Hello,

Generally speaking bar-n-plate has more surface area for cooling and withstand higher boosted applications. They are heavier. Welded end caps are nice, but make the mfg has pressure tested the design. All those welds have to be perfect. Tube routing is where the science comes in so you can keep pressure drop to a min.

I would pick an intercooler based on psi/flow rate.

Here is a good link that explains it.

https://takemebeyondthehorizon.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/how-to-go-fast-faster-the-math-behind-turbocharging-part-7-intercooler-selection/

good reading...explains things very well.
my piping is 3.5" but the in/out on my existing ic is 3". a restriction right there. the piping flows well so don't see there being much pressure drop there. was looking to increase the depth of the 24x12x3 core to 4" and increase the in/out to 3.5".

air to water .......... inlet air will always be water temp which will be cooler than ambient air any day of the week...........

You might want to think a bit about what you just said there. If you can get an air to water heat exchanger below ambient air temp you may have invented a new science

Cxracing has some good air to air intercoolers, they have different sizes, i have personally put 30psi through one and no problems. Just my .02

Water exchanges heat better but in a water to air system your heat exchanger needs to be sized properly.

Air to air needs some restriction to slow the air long enough to be cooled.

Have you measured your pre and post boost temps currently?

Can also run a spray bar on the air to air if you want really cooler air, some spray water or nos has a kit, or just go with meth injection as well and don't worry.

You might want to think a bit about what you just said there. If you can get an air to water heat exchanger below ambient air temp you may have invented a new science

so you dont have any water to air innercooler experience i see. last one i ran my iat was 40° with ice and water in the tank at 18psi. if ran with just water and cruising around the streets. if will stay around ambient temps usually unless really boosting it like an idiot teenager at every corner and stop light. air to air will be mo different as it will absorb the heat from the rad just the same.

-
Back