Interest in Coil Over LCA's

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
I bought a Dillinger setup from a fellow member and had it spread it out on one of my work benches when my fabricator friend came over and was checking it out. He was really impressed and wants to replicate the lower arms for his duster while making some minor mods to improve an already good design. I asked if he would be willing to make a few sets for other members that would be interested in them. He's all for it!

So here's the question: if I was to have him reproduce them, how many of you would be interested in a set of them? The more people interested the cheaper they would be to produce and the savings would be passed onto the buyers. I'm not looking to make a profit on these, but instead help out my fellow Moparians. I'm willing to eat the initial cost of materials if there is enough interest.

Also, this is in no way a slap in the face to John. I respect his design and effort in producing these. He is a great Mopar enthusiast and this is not meant to disrespect him in any way. His design will be altered for slight improvement and so the design isn't a direct copy.

WOW! gonna steal someone's R&D and directly copy and sell them. how nice. how about your friend research and start from scratch and make his own design.

I like your idea and it's generous to think of the rest of us here working on a budget, but I don't like the fact that it would possibly take away possible business from John. Like abodyjoe said, you're taking his hard work and R&D time, making a small tweak so it's not a copy and selling it. I personally wouldn't feel right about doing it or buying the copies, but hey, none of us can tell you what to do.

you could always send one to china, have them make you 1000 units and sell them on ebay. that's should do, yes? all the profit, none of the effort

OK...thats a little extreme. BUT, its done way too often. tweak the design for yourself....enjoy the benefits (if found). Don't infringe on someone else's work....bad Karma

WOW! gonna steal someone's R&D and directly copy and sell them. how nice. how about your friend research and start from scratch and make his own design.

It sounds to me like he's trying to fill the void since Badart has been on hiatus. But thats about as much of an opinion as i have.

I know the point of your thread is to gauge who IS interested, and not who is NOT interested.

But it may be helpful to understand why someone may not be interested in what is basically a copy of another design that is intended to be different from the original (mopar design).

When you say slight changes are you referring to same geometry but fabbed/ braced a little differently?
If so, the result is a copy of the design, I am sure some will jump on the bandwagon.

If changing the geometry , do you fully understand the impact to the final result; is the one you are copying squared up to begin with? What is the range of alignment etc?

Most people (i hope) are buying parts like this to solve a problem, not to just have tubular parts.

I think people were willing to buy stuff like this if they can see it working, tested, etc.

Best case this results in some decent parts at a decent price.
Worst case some untested parts cause more problems than they solve. Put me in the no column, but I wish you luck as I bet this is not an easy endeavor.

It's a free country. What do you think car companies do? It's called competition. That said, I have no use for any coil over type suspension on a Mopar when the stock pieces work so well. I'll spend that money somewhere else.

It's a free country. What do you think car companies do? It's called competition. That said, I have no use for any coil over type suspension on a Mopar when the stock pieces work so well. I'll spend that money somewhere else.

Everyone has their opinion, mine fits ,with Rob's. The factory,spent the money in engineering, why change it? I enjoyed/enjoy Badarts input/involvement. He knows his stuff. It is a free enterprise market, make sure it works..

It sounds to me like he's trying to fill the void since Badart has been on hiatus. But thats about as much of an opinion as i have.

Correctomundo! The improvements are still to be determined but I'm sure it would include geometry of the lower ball joint. One improvement he recommended would be changing the design of how the strut rod attaches. He felt this area needed to be more rigid to keep stress on the lower pin bore to a minimum. My car would be the guinea pig for testing purposes. So the copy of design would be how the arms attach to the K-member. I have not seen any other design that attaches directly to the factory K like John's does.

Like I said before I was in no way trying to disrespect John. Considering the overwhelming negative response to this I have scrapped the idea.

this is the same way CAP started out,, coping some ones design,except he had no clue,,,,you see where he is now,,,,,

How about you have your friend contact Dillinger and exchange toughts about the current design and perhaps improve the product entirely?

Not every idea is all your own! Most start out as someone else's. Hey, Taco bell some Mexican's just called and are ticked off because they think you ripped them off and you need to shut down now! And pay them restitution! Oh, and Wal-mart! Woolworth is screaming that they were here first and you need to go away because your running them out of business! And let's not forget Ford is still mad about the aerodynamic wars of the late 60's and early 70's! It was they're idea first!!!! LOL.

Not every idea is all your own! Most start out as someone else's. Hey, Taco bell some Mexican's just called and are ticked off because they think you ripped them off and you need to shut down now! And pay them restitution! Oh, and Wal-mart! Woolworth is screaming that they were here first and you need to go away because your running them out of business! And let's not forget Ford is still mad about the aerodynamic wars of the late 60's and early 70's! It was they're idea first!!!! LOL.

since when has taco bell been mexican food?

I think you need a road trip to a border state for some good food. :-D

How about you have your friend contact Dillinger and exchange toughts about the current design and perhaps improve the product entirely?

Impossible. John is AWOL right now. Hasn't been able to be reached since the last time I talked to him in March. I'm over it now, I don't need to be boo'd off here.

since when has taco bell been mexican food?

I think you need a road trip to a border state for some good food. :-D

I think your right!!! I have a niece and her husband that are living in Texas right now and they are always talking about the local food down there. Sounds like a road trip is in order!:burnout:

I think your right!!! I have a niece and her husband that are living in Texas right now and they are always talking about the local food down there. Sounds like a road trip is in order!:burnout:

if i went to texas, i may not come home,,

Copyright infringement????

I saw a thread on coil over conversions for our A Body's so I checked them out wonderful pieces of hardware but why would I [even if I could afford one] put an item priced at anywhere from 3k-6k under the front of my 66 Cuda when at museum restoration the value is only worth 16k or less. I'll live with the original suspension it's gotta work Ma Mopar has been using it forever!!!! If the prices for these types of conversions were reasonably priced folks would not try to copy them to make cheaper ones!!!!! [just my 2 cents]

Copyright infringement????

I saw a thread on coil over conversions for our A Body's so I checked them out wonderful pieces of hardware but why would I [even if I could afford one] put an item priced at anywhere from 3k-6k under the front of my 66 Cuda when at museum restoration the value is only worth 16k or less. I'll live with the original suspension it's gotta work Ma Mopar has been using it forever!!!! If the prices for these types of conversions were reasonably priced folks would not try to copy them to make cheaper ones!!!!! [just my 2 cents]

Well the price for my conversion setup wouldn't even of cost more than a grand. Like I said before, I was going to sell them for cost. I wasn't looking for a profit.

It's all water under the bridge now.

-
Back