Interesting update on "crappy" repro fan shrouds

-
Gotta put in my two cents here.
I purchased one when they first came out a little over a year ago. The first one lasted about a week, the first free replacement only lasted about an hour as I drove out to a friends in Phoenix's 110 degree heat.
So now I have second free replacement new in a box that I won't put on.
I switched to a Spal dual fan and am very glad I did.

Down in AZ yeah they would probably melt just sitting in the driveway. My car was running around 200 degrees or so going up the highway to the cruise. Its not like the car over heated or anything. The flimsy plastic just sags when it gets hot. Now I am going to have to take it off before the fan hits it.

You should let them know - even if they don't do anything about it.

I sent an email to Bill at A&M High Tech Auto and also emailed Hoffmans. If there is not an improved shroud in the works I would like to get my money back because these shrouds are junk. My original lasted over 30 years and never warped and it will still be on the car today if not for a broken motor mount taking it out.

Bill from A&M High Tech Auto contacted Hoffmans for me and they have a "350 degree" material fan shroud they are going to ship me. They say it is grey in color and I will have to paint it. I don't care as long as it does not warp. Bill

Got the new 350 degree fan shroud. I always need to trim a little on the bottom to get the shrouds to fit correctly. When I put a cut off wheel on the shroud it does not gum up and melt like the previous versions did. It does have a grayish color to it but that does not bother me.

I decided to pull the radiator and fabricate up a bracket and JB Weld it to the top tank to provide support so it won't sag. Hopefully with the new material and that bracket my shroud problems are over. If it holds up I'll prep it and paint it black at a later time.

ShroudBracket1.jpg

ShroudBracket2.jpg

NewShroud2.jpg

I'm fabbing up a slant 6 shroud to work on my griffin aluminum rad.

I am at the point where I'm ready to look up griffin to see if they offer a direct fit for my application as I'm gonna have to build some ugly bracketry to make this work.
It may work right but will surely look like crap as I'm starting to discover.

This is the third shroud Bill at A&M High Tech Auto has sent to me. Despite the issues Hoffmans stands behind their product and is investing in improving it. Hopefully the new "350 degree" plastic will hold up. If so this will be part many many people need.

I kind of wished that you hadn`t added that bracket to the radiator just to see if the new formulation was any improvement on the old.

I kind of wished that you hadn`t added that bracket to the radiator just to see if the new formulation was any improvement on the old.

I hear you but I have dealing with this issue for the last year and am getting really tired of the sagging shrouds. With the bracket in place there is no way it can sag now.

I hear you but I have dealing with this issue for the last year and am getting really tired of the sagging shrouds. With the bracket in place there is no way it can sag now.

I understand, enough is enough, eh? Fortunately your vendor has been more than helpful getting you up and running again. Kudos to Bill at A&M High Tech Auto and Hoffmans for providing the shrouds without a lot of excuses. Sounds like a great place to shop.

Well, I've had mine on the road maybe a half dozen times in the last month. The upper support has worked fine in ensuring no droopage into the fan however, yesterday I noticed a large crack forming at one of the mounting points - and not from overtightening. How's #3 working for you, 340s?

Well, I've had mine on the road maybe a half dozen times in the last month. The upper support has worked fine in ensuring no droopage into the fan however, yesterday I noticed a large crack forming at one of the mounting points - and not from overtightening. How's #3 working for you, 340s?

I had it out on one hot day driving it around on back roads and then another time when it was much cooler out. Shroud looks fine but the bracket I JB Welded to the top tank fell off when I touched it. The JB Weld bonded to the bracket but not the top tank? I sanded all the paint off the top tank area and wiped it off with Brake Parts Cleaner and am thinking maybe I didn't wait long enough for the Brake Parts Cleaner to evaporate? So I mixed up another batch of JB weld and put it back on again. I let it set up over night before this time I'll give it two days.

Todd at Hoffman's is having the 3rd gen version like you got sent to me.

If you have trouble with JB Weld, you could probably solder the support to the tank like I did.

Todd at Hoffman's is having the 3rd gen version like you got sent to me.

If you have trouble with JB Weld, you could probably solder the support to the tank like I did.

Glad to hear you are getting the better version. It is great Hoffmans is trying to improve the product. Those shrouds are so badly needed if they can get them right they can sell a ton of them.

I pulled my radiator and trimmed the new shroud here and there to get it to fit perfectly. Well worth the trouble.

I JB Welded the bracket back on again, let it sit for two days, and went out last night and tried to pulled it off and it won't come off so I should be good now.

I just got mine in from Hoovers (according to my SO)....I am working in Lawton, Ok and as soon as I get home will be installing it. Summer in TX is HOT. Sounds like I will find out pretty quick if I got a good one or not.

I just got mine in from Hoovers (according to my SO)....I am working in Lawton, Ok and as soon as I get home will be installing it. Summer in TX is HOT. Sounds like I will find out pretty quick if I got a good one or not.

Come back and let us know how it works out for you.

any updates on this issue i live in MI and i just installed a vicous clutch fan and i bought a oem shroud wondering if i even need it never had one from factory and if i have problems with it id like to buy a after market one if they ever work right

I bought the repro saggy one and took it off once it started to rub the fan. I was lucky enough to find a stock shroud that was made in the early 70s and was made with the good resin. It has the Chrysler emblem on it. Got it from a member on here who told me that he got a bunch of offers with in minutes of posting the ad. He said that he should have raised the price of it not knowing it was in such demand. lol

Anyways been driving the car back and forth to the shop to finish up my windshield and back glass install without a shroud (just cant find the time to install the factory one). Believe me a shroud makes a lot of difference on keeping the cooling system functioning at peak performance. The temps have been the highest I have seen since the installation of the Griffin radiator and shroud. My back up electric fan comes on ever so often today. Never heard it do that with the shroud on there. Made me a true believer in a shroud needing to be installed.

Hello,
Although some here already know who I am .
I am Bill Allphin, I own and operate A+M Hightech Automotive

This thread was brought to my attention recenly. So I thought I might be able to offer some insight on the subject.

The first few shroud materials were an issue obviously, But to my knowledge the latest incarnations have had no ill fit and/or warpage issues reported.
So if anyone has one , regardless of when or from whom you bought it from.
And your having fit issues. I suggest a quick email to Todd or the vender in which your bought it from , contact them and it will be taken care of.
The most recent material being used is a medium grey in color, so theres no confusing it with an earlier release . Snother way is some of the earliest release have both the pentastar and OE part number molded in as original. Recent releases will have only the part number or possibily just the last 3 digits of the part number.

Any question, Please contact me at sales@amhightechauto.com or ballphin@fuse.net or Todd Hoffman directly at todd@hoffmanswinnerscircle.com and hopefully it can be resolved to everyones sastisfaction.

If by chance you bought at a swap meet and have no idea who the seller is , contact myself or Todd and lets see what we can do.

and btw, The shrouds are designed and produced in the USA

-
Back