interior dye /paints and duster headline questions

-

1bad360duster

Reaction score
how good is the stuff really? i hear SEM is supposed to be good. Anyone know the sepecific name of the products that work best? if you have a perfectly good rear seat would you just recover anyway because its 30 years old or just dye it? also i hear you can dye carpets but my question is, is it really worth it or will the carpet still look shot? i want the stuff to come out nice and not look cheap after some time. Same goes for the door panels. also for the guys with the cardboard duster headliners..is it worth getting the abs plastic headliner? also is the abs head liner heavier than the carboard or about the same? thanks guys and sorry for all the questions.8)8)

I have also heard that the SEM is a good product. I have heard that most paints and dydes do not hold up well in the sun (they fade fast). They are however a much cheaper option.

I to am in the same boat.....my 72 duster seats are in perfect condition.....BUT I am converting my interior to black and it used to be gold/cream colored.

I have already recovered my cardboard headliner with black vinyl ...I have already bought a black carpet kit....in the middle of painting the metal black....all that is left is the seats but I am still trying to find out what will work best.

I dont want a vinyl paint that will chip up or something...I was looking more for a vinyl dye.

I see summit racing sells some that they say is a vinyl paint/dye that molecularly bonds to the material it is sprayed to.

but they are not clear on what there colors are....they refer to the colors as 1985 ford mustang black or 1999 bmw charcoal and so on....and I want to know more so if it is a flat black or a satin black or a semi gloss black or a gloss black.....because I dont want the seats to look like they were spray painted...I want them to look factory.

I am not going to recover a perfectly good set of seats when there has to be an alternative.

My thoughts as well... I want to re-do the back seat to match the fronts that I'm putting in... And it is a little faded as well..

Anyone know of any good products to tackle the jobs were are all basically trying to do?

Well I called and spoke to my local Paint supply shop and the told me that the SEM is a flexible paint. As long as it is applied to a clean surface it will last years even in a daily driven car. He also told me about a water based product that is almost 2x as much as the SEM Color Coat but it wears like Iron. I think I just may pick some SEM Color Coat up and spend my whole weekend cleaning and spraying the seats. I was told the Crylon Fusion paint works wonders on the plastic panels inside. I will hopefully post pics soon.

My cardboard headliner was flaking paint badly but was structurally ok. I glued a fabric headliner material to the cardboard after removing flaky material. It looked pretty good. If you want pictures send a PM. I used some SEM white plastic paint on worn/faded white hard plastic and it worked good. I also painted the sunvisors and looked good but took a long time for them to cure (they were tacky for a while).

You cant tell, (and thats the point) but I used sem and dupont dye in lots of things on this interior re-do. SEE THE PICS!!! The visors, headliner, kick panels were done with sem. The armrests, armrest bases, dash, dash pad, a pillar plastic trim were done with the dupont. The other blue trim was painted with regular paint. The seat covers and the door and side panels are white and new! The dye was used to blend lots of stuff together for the color. The visors and headliner were B5 blue before dying them. Look at the results and ask if its worth it. Second year and not a scratch or peel spot anywhere. IMO, I would not do the seats as in and out usage will eventually wear and the original color will bleed through. Back seats if not used will hold up. As stated by another member the sem as well as the dupont dye is flexible. If the surface is clean and free of oils and such this stuff will hold like crazy glue.
Chas.

new car pics 030.JPG

new car pics 031.JPG

new car pics 035.JPG

new car pics 038.JPG

new car pics 039.JPG

new car pics 043.JPG

new car pics 044.JPG

new car pics 046.JPG

Since this has come up in a few post recently I thought it was a good time to post this. I did not write it a member from another board did but I have done this on several cars before with good results

Ok, so ya want to change the color of some parts you have, or change the interior color all together or just make it look better. SEM as many of you know makes plastic dyes and vinyl dyes. Here are some basic guide lines for you to follow so that you can obtain good results and save some money paying someone else to do it. You should know this work is pretty easy to do if you can wield a rattle can somewhat well. The dyes are very forgiving, more so than paints. So this winter, take on this project, you CAN DO IT.

First you need to know that vinyl and plastics are slightly different. SEM makes a prep spray for plastic, and another for vinyl. Now, with that being said, I've used plastic prep for vinyl and had good results, but to play it safe, get the right prep spray for the job.

You will need the following materials.

1. SEM plastic prep.* ( or vinyl prep if your doing vinyl parts)
2. SEM Dye* in the color you choose. ( some paint houses can custom mix your colors )
3. A bunch of CLEAN rags. and several white ones for the final cleaning.
4. A soft tooth brush.
5. A soft bristle brush. ( this is used for doing door panels, seats, or kick panels, textured surfaces etc. )
6. Tac cloth, you can get this at any auto paint place.
*** depending on how much your doing will determine how many cans you will need. One can should do a complete set of door panels front and rear. Just make sure you have enough. too much is a good thing on this job.

Remove the part from the car you wish to dye and clean it up.

I can't stress enough about how much to clean the part. Use the prep spray well. It dries fairly quick, so figure that into your work pattern.

You should spray the part with the prep spray and scrubbing with the CLEAN rag and don't miss any thing at all. Use the tooth brush for hard to get to spots, and if doing vinyl, use it for the welting edges and threads in the seats. Use the brush for larger areas. Change rags often so your not just smearing stuff around and wasting the prep spray. Don't miss ANY spots at all and if your not sure, do it again. Do the entire part several times and with a WHITE cloth, do it again. If you see ANYTHING on the white rag. Do it again until the white rag is clean after you wipe it off. This is VERY IMPORTANT.

Let the part dry totally, if doing seats with thread or welting, let stand till the thread is try and use a rag along the welts to ensure it's dry and DID I MENTION CLEAN!

Once you have your part TOTALLY clean. Use the tac cloth to remove any fuzzies from the rags.

Now, as normal, shake the crap out of the dye as stated in the instructions.

If your doing something like an "A" pillar piece, spray a light coat ( tac coat ) on the piece. The dye dries pretty quick, and when dry apply another coat. Continue this until it's color is solid and not missing anything.

If your doing a seat part with welting, start off your tac coat by shooting the left and right sides of the welting so that you know the dye is getting down in there where the welting is near the seat. Do the welting ribs a couple of times lightly and then after dry, it will be time to do the whole seat.

Normally when I do seats or door panels I'll start by spraying across the sewn or pressed lines in the part. Next pass is with them, next is diagonally, and then repeat the steps again. Ending with a pattern that matches the lines on the part. Light coats work well and a good coat on the final run at it. Do allow the dye to dry between coats as the dye needs to be able to de gas.

If possible, try to do this on a warm day, or a heated area. It helps your work time greatly, but can be done in a dry area. As I said, this stuff is pretty forgiving. You will notice that after it totally dries, the textured surface will show again even if you got a little heavy on the spray in most cases. The stuff is great!

Once done, let stand for awhile till totally dry and install your part again and admire your fine work.

I've done carpets, headliners, door panels, kick panels, dash pads, A pillars, consoles, the works! You should be able to re do your complete interior of your car in a day or two.

Now, I'll say it again, don't scrimp on using the cleaner or fresh rags!

There is no need for a primer or any adhesion agent when using SEM dyes. Figure it this way, an adhesion agent or primer are what your putting on the part to stick to first, so there is no way the DYE can DYE the part if your doing that. The Dye will do exactly what it is billed to do if these instructions are followed and you CLEAN THE PART WELL. You will enjoy it for years to come.
Should there come a time where somehow you damage it, you can clean the area and blend in the color of dye again and repair it. Unless you have white, then normally the part must then be done all over.

As for doing seat belts, I've had mixed results for some reason there. So do those if you choose. I did a set of seat belts from blue to black and in the sun, they still had a gun metal look to them. I even tried boiling them in Rit dye with very limited results.

-
Back