Interior Insulation

-

ermarccio

Reaction score
I see lots of pics of people using Dynamat or similar products on their floors. I'm getting ready to put the carpet and other interior peices in my 68 Barracuda and was wondering if I should stick to the original type insulation or go with the Dynamat. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Eric

I used Dynamat on my last build and will be going in a new direction this time.

On the mustang I pretty much created a solid shell from the firewall back. Entire floorpan, firewall, trunk, doors.. everything. The car was more solid, but sound was not decreased as much as I expected.

This time I'll be trying out Second Skin.

Instead of a complete layer I'll be using strips of Damplifier Pro. With that method a basic door pack or maybe a trunk pack should be plenty of material.

Once that is complete I'll be covering it with their Luxury Liner Pro.

This combination should cut resonance down substantially with the Damplifier and reduce overall in cabin noise with the Luxury Liner. It'll probably be an easier install than the full shell treatment as well.

I used a Dynamat clone to completely line the interior of my '73 D100, and it reduced road noise 90%. Did the same to the floor of my '64 Valiant convertible...huge improvement.

I will also be using the second skin, but I will be coating it all with the spray/roll on sound deadener first. I like the fact that it seals to a waterproof layer and can't trap any moisture.

I used a roll out roof repair product from Lowes that had an aluminum backing. It was butyl rubber and thin. Looked very similar to the aluminum backed dynomat with no bad smell. It was thin enough to put under my carpet and still use the attached factory type backing. Cut down on sound and heat signficantly, especially above the mufflers. Price was reasonable.

Good info! Do most people use it to keep road/exhaust noises out? Or is it mainly used by guys with big audio systems?

It's used for both. Most effective use of the butyl/aluminum stuff is use in patches to reduce vibration & dampen sound in body panels. It's popular to cover the entire surface, but its not necessary for sound deadening. A relative small piece in the middle of a surface does the job. Use of layered sound deadening material such as the acoustical foam matting over the butyl/alum stuff is most effective. Here's a great place to begin the research. When used as designed, you'll require less deadener & have far better sound insulation.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

~Sae

If you use the sticky tiles on the floor, should you still use the factory style insulation over it? Or is it not necessary? I'm trying to figure out what I need to order when ordering the carpet.

Thanks,
Eric

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The gentleman above used it in his truck, which is really smart beause those old trucks were about 3x louder inside than cars. Me personally, I just bought carpet with the thick jute backing on it and installed it that way. It's quiet enough to where I'm not bothered by road noise, but loud enough to where I can hear any strange engine, suspension or rear end noises. You don't want to be too insulated because you could possibly be driving around with a problem and not know about it for a while.

-
Back