Interior light & cigarette lighter wiring

-

Steves65

Reaction score
I have a question about the wiring for my 65 vert. I was blowing the 20 amp fuse so I replaced the wiring and replaced the interior light connector (under dash). I'm not blowing fuses any more, but the light is not shutting off when the door is closed. ..any ideas?

The door switches provide the ground for the lights when the doors are open so when you rewired them did you by chance ground the lights?

Do you accidently have the dome light switch on the headlight switch activated?

The dome lamps all work by grounding the yellow wire which comes off all the sockets and goes to the door switches and headlight switch. If any switch is "on" (ground) or a short in that wiring, they will light. I don't know it's possible a bad / wrong bulb might.............

The door switches provide the ground for the lights when the doors are open so when you rewired them did you by chance ground the lights?

I added new door switches...they each run to one terminal on the light socket leads. Then I have the hot wire running from my fuse box to one of the leads and a jumper to the cigarette lighter. I didn't add any additional wires

Do you accidently have the dome light switch on the headlight switch activated?

The dome lamps all work by grounding the yellow wire which comes off all the sockets and goes to the door switches and headlight switch. If any switch is "on" (ground) or a short in that wiring, they will light. I don't know it's possible a bad / wrong bulb might.............

The switch is off...can the way I wired the power wire do it?

Ok there should be positive 12 volts from the fuse on one side of the bulb sockets and the yellow from the door switches one the other side of the light sockets
then the other yellow lead from the door switches tied to chassis ground. If this is done correctly they will work as long as the door switches are working properly.

Thanks for all the help everyone! It's a ground issue...the bulb socket was grounding out against the mounting bracket once I seperated them the light started working correctly. I just need to insulate between them so it's not metal to metal contact

"Bulb socket?" You may have an improper socket or pigtail. The socket should have a double contact pigtail and bulb, the socket itself should NOT complete the circuit

1004 bulb: The metal socket shell does NOTHING. The two contacts on the bottom are the filament

1004_bulb_cit_wm.jpg

-
Back