Interior light comes on when step on brake

-

cudaboy1965

Reaction score
1965 Barracuda / 318 motor
My interior light comes on when I depress the brake.
Also the vanity lights do not come on.
This is an intermittent problem.
****recently replaced the starter and starter relay. Any connection?

I would think that some wiring is crossed somewhere.

I have just read a few threads. Since it is intermittent I am starting to believe it is a bad ground somewhere.

Problem with either master cylinder or air in brake lines. The warning light is telling you that there is an imbalance between the front and rear hydraulic systems. You are probably only getting activation of front or rear brakes - not both together. This is a very dangerous situation, so don't ignore it and drive the car anyway.

Start by checking the fluid level in the master cylinder. Then try bleeding the brakes at all 4 corners. If the warning light still comes on after this, then replace the master cylinder and rebleed.

Thanks - this is not a break issue. the light in question is a vanity dome light; not a warning light.

Thanks - this is not a break issue. the light in question is a vanity dome light; not a warning light.

Oh, that's good! Probably pinched the ground wire that activates the dome light with the brake pedal/rod. Check under the dash for any wire that looks like it is being pinched when the brake pedal is being pushed. Good luck!

We had a Trans Am do this at a dealership I worked at in the early 80's and it ended up being the ground wire to the dome light. In your case I would check the grounds that are right below the trunk latch

We had a Trans Am do this at a dealership I worked at in the early 80's and it ended up being the ground wire to the dome light. In your case I would check the grounds that are right below the trunk latch

Mopar dome lights are not "grounded." The switch leg for the dome / courtesy lamps is in the ground leg. The lamps are 2 terminal single filament. The lamp shell is not connected.

Frankly I cannot think of a plausable electrical explanation for this offhand.

(Stop lights are all switched 12V power, while the dome is all switched ground leg)

HERE's a thought. You familiar with "how the light switch" turns on the dome? Do the dome lights actually work? With the doors? With the light switch? Is the light switch dome function actually for certain turned OFF when this problem is happening?

I'm just throwing this out there, as I don't know exactly how the car is wired.

BUT, if it is wired similar to my 74, there is a plug behind the driver side kick panel that powers all of the lights out back as well a a wire that feeds back and up to the dome light.

Is it possible that something is pinched there or aft of it that is causing the break light power to be transferred to the dome light wire???

Have you done any interior work around the floor, sill plates, back seat etc that could have possibly pinched something?

I'm just throwing this out there, as i don't know exactly how the car is wired.

BUT, if it is wired similar to my 74, there is a plug behind the driver side kick panel that powers all of the lights out back as well a a wire that feeds back and up to the dome light.

Is it possible that something is pinched there or aft of it that is causing the break light power to be transferred to the dome light wire???

Have you done any interior work around the floor, sill plates, back seat etc that could have possibly pinched something?

That's the thing, since the dome already "normally" has battery power clear through the lamp and wiring and out to the door and light switch, it's hard to imagine.

My thinking was the dome BATTERY wire is pinched / welded / melted to the stop light circuit. Not sure where that might occur.................the only switched brake light power is a short wire from the switch to the TS switch!!

Otherwise, do the dome lights blink when one / other signal is selected?

"Far out, man............."

fughettaboutit_528_poster.jpg

intermittent issue. when not occurring the 3 lights (one up front and two back) swtith on normally. when i have the issue the brake only causes the front light to go on and the switch no longer functions at all !!

yeah that's the internal signal for a tail light problem but could be in the headlight switch , I chased that for 3 years on and off until I bought a new headlight switch and it hasn't come back , check the sockets are grounding to the bezel and the bezel is grounding to the body .

-
Back