Interior Light Wiring Issue - 69 Barracuda

-

PSUKev

Reaction score
Hi all. I've had my car up and running since last fall and installed a painless wiring kit to get her going but as the kit states, I had to reuse some of my existing wiring for the interior lights to work and I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've never owned this car while it was all together so I'm flying a little blind when trying to get the existing wiring to work with the painless stuff. Here's what I need help with...

The wiring that comes off the light switch and runs to the door jam switch(s), the map light and glove box light. So far I've got the yellow wire that comes off the light switch wired to the door jam switches and when I open the doors the two interior rear pillar lights do come on so I know that's right but I've got no idea what the pink wire goes to that has the male connector and 2 wires coming out the back. If I'm looking at the wiring diagram correctly I think the final female connection at the end of the pink wiring goes to the glove box light but I'm kind of lost since I'm not using a time delay or the lights on buzzer. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

I can take more pictures if need be and answer any questions if my description is at all confusing. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0160.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 497
  • IMAG0161.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 501
I HATE map light switches, because they are just a "box" with wires, that is, Ma don' show the internal circuitry, and "I don't have one." Map switches use the switch MOUNT GROUND as part of the circuit so that's a problem

Here, look at the factory manual and see if that gives you a different perspective

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

There are several pages in the '69 manual that show bits and pieces of this. You have to diddle the page numbers because what your viewer shows is not what's printed on the pages

Link

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1969_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

8-111 (327)

8-126 (342)

8-134 (350)

Thanks for the link(s). While my service manual downloads how about we look at this from another angle...

I'm not into restoring to a factory condition so if I can wire it a simpler way I'll look into it. Can I tap into the wiring from the passenger side pillar light and bring it up along the passenger side floor to supply power for the map light since those lights come on now when I open a door or turn my light switch knob fully counterclockwise? If I can take care of the map light that way then I could also just wire the glove box light to a switched power source similar to the ash tray light, correct?

Let me know if you think I'm on the right track.

I HATE map light switches, because they are just a "box" with wires, that is, Ma don' show the internal circuitry, and "I don't have one." Map switches use the switch MOUNT GROUND as part of the circuit so that's a problem

Here, look at the factory manual and see if that gives you a different perspective

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

There are several pages in the '69 manual that show bits and pieces of this. You have to diddle the page numbers because what your viewer shows is not what's printed on the pages

Link

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1969_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

8-111 (327)

8-126 (342)

8-134 (350)

Yep.

The map swich just passes the ground signal from the yellow door switch wires to the brown which gives the map light a completed circuit. When the switch is flipped it shorts the brown to the switch case completing the circuit to ground. As pointed out by others before it can be a battery killer when left on. You can bypass the switch by connecting the brown to yellow then the map light will only function with a door open or headlight switch twisted to the dome on posistion.

Thanks for the link(s). While my service manual downloads how about we look at this from another angle...

I'm not into restoring to a factory condition so if I can wire it a simpler way I'll look into it. Can I tap into the wiring from the passenger side pillar light and bring it up along the passenger side floor to supply power for the map light since those lights come on now when I open a door or turn my light switch knob fully counterclockwise? If I can take care of the map light that way then I could also just wire the glove box light to a switched power source similar to the ash tray light, correct?

Let me know if you think I'm on the right track.

The pinks are always hot. So yes you can do it that way. The headlight switch controls the ground signal ( yellow wires)

The pinks are always hot. So yes you can do it that way. The headlight switch controls the ground signal ( yellow wires)

So if I connect the pink wires where they splice together in the male end to a constant hot (like in the photo below) and also splice in the glove box to the same hot then the map light on the floor will only come on when the door(s) open or the headlight switch triggers it and the glove box light will only come on when opened correct?

Attachments

• Service Manual Page 8-134.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 360
Thats is correct.

The switch on the glove box shorts one side of the lamp to chassis ground completing the circuit.

Thats is correct.

The switch on the glove box shorts one side of the lamp to chassis ground completing the circuit.

Thanks for your help on this. I've never been into these to play with 'em. I did know they had to be grounded.

Thanks everyone, with your help I got everything wired up and tested out. The only thing that threw me for a loop was the map light wouldn't light up but that's because I'm using LED lights and I needed to swap the yellow and pink wires in the harness so the power went through the light in the right direction.

Thanks for your help on this. I've never been into these to play with 'em. I did know they had to be grounded.

Find that hard to believe!!

You are well versed on wiring in these old babies....

Thanks everyone, with your help I got everything wired up and tested out. The only thing that threw me for a loop was the map light wouldn't light up but that's because I'm using LED lights and I needed to swap the yellow and pink wires in the harness so the power went through the light in the right direction.

Awesome!

Thats how this forum is supposed to work!

Awesome!

Thats how this forum is supposed to work!

I agree. This forum in general has been a big help in bringing my Barracuda back to life. I can't even count the amount of times I've searched and found what I need without having to post a question. Great group of people here.

-
Back