Interior lights short?

-

Joep

Reaction score
Ok guys, so i am wiring up some interior lights in my car and i am having some trouble with the door jamb switches. All the wiring is not factory because I just barely put in the LED lights. I wired all the lights up to a dome light switch and two door jamb switches. When the door jamb switches are not bolted into the door jamb all of the lights work fine but when i touch the door jamb switch to the car i blow a fuse. Its just a 5 amp fuse. So my question here is are the door jamb switches not properly grounded? All the lights work fine until i touch the switch to the car. I need help im stumped. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Can you explain more aobut the wiring not all being factory? Kinda hard to diagnose if we can't look at the factory schematic and have that as a road map.

Are these LED's made for 12v? Do you have a link to them?

You do know that the dome light switch and door jamb switches activate the dome light by grounding the yellow wire, which completes the circuit through the dome light? The pink wire to the dome light socket feeds the 12v supply to the dome light through a fuse (that is likely the one blowing).

Does you car have the courtesy time delay relay still installed?

I thought that all of the interior lights were the same height. I've never seen any tall or short ones....

If I'm correct the switches use a single wire, that would be a positive. then they ground through the switch body to the car body. (The housing is the ground.)

It also helps to post the year and model of your car so the answers can be more specific to your application.

Sounds like you've got the door jamb switches spliced into the dome light positive side of the dome light switch. When you ground the jamb switches they short out & blow the fuse. The D/J switches have to be wired on the ground side of the circuit (after the bulb). This is a switch to ground circuit. The dome light switch should operate the same way. Positive(power) to the light 1st & then the switches are on the ground side. The only grounds on this circuit should have to pass through the switches. All 3 switches Must be on the same side(ground side only) for it to work right. Not in series, but a parallel ground.

Ok when I say the wiring is not factory I mean that there was no interior anything haha. No lights no factory anything. So I had to install lights myself. The way I did it was I first grounded each light. Then I spliced all the positives to one common spot. Then I sent a wire from that spot to a dome light switch and the a wire from the switch to a constantly hot 12v switch. And then I sent a wire from that spot to each door jamb switch and then from the switched to the 12v source. Everything works fine like it's supposed to until I try to put the door jamb switch into the door that's when it shorts out and blows the fuse. I hope this helps a little bit

It does sound like you have it wired backwards.
I couldn't follow through your description exactly, but it sounds like you have sent power (positive) to the door jamb switches?
The yellow wires to the door jamb switches is a negative. When the door opens, the switch pops out to touch the body completing the circuit.
C

One of my automotive teachers explained to me how to wire it up. I drew my own little diagram I could post maybe that would help?

Well, the teacher most likley does nto know about the Mopar wiring for these. Yes a diagram migth help, but several commentors heere have figured out the issue. As posts 2, 4, 5, and 7 explain, the door jamb switches ground the - side of the light instead of connecting the + side to the light. The + side of the light is ALWAYS connected to the +12v on one side, and the switches ground the other side. This is the only way you can do it as the body of the door jamb switches (which is the 2nd connection to the switch) is always grounded; so it has to ground the - side of the light.

So basically all I have to do is send the ground for all the lights on the dome circuit to the door jamb switches and then take power away from the switches?

Yes send the ground for the lights to the door jamb switches AND to the dome light connection on the head light switch too. The dome light function in the headlight switch grounds the - wire from the light just like the door jamb switches. NO power should to the switches.

The standard door jamb has 2 connections: 1 for the wire coming form the light and the other is the outer 'case' of the switch that grounds to the chassis. Now there is an exception to the door jamb switches; the later ones on the driver's side have 3 connections: 1 from the lights, the grounded case, and a 3rd wire. The 3rd wire is for the courtesy light delay relay.

Do you have your year car's wiring diagram from www/mymopar.com? What year DO you have? It would help to share that info.

The car is a 1971 dodge demon. I've checked the diagram out a little bit on my mopar but haven't really studied it that much

OK, well you will se a yellow wire to the passenger door jamb switch; waht is not shown is the case ground of the switch. The yellow wire will also go to the driver's door jamb switch and then branch off to the headlight switch and also to the dome light. That yellow wire is what gets grounded by any of those 3 switches. The power to the dome light comes in on the other side on a pink wire.

Ok guys I got it all figured out and it's all wired up now it looks great. Thank you so much for the help!!

-
Back