Interior trim fastening

-

Ryan Hoelzer

Reaction score
Is there a way to get the original trim fasteners out of the back of these trim pieces and put a new one in them? Or a single clip type device that will go in them?

2019-01-27 16.32.22.jpg
2019-01-27 16.32.28.jpg

In my imagination I'm seeing another piece of metal shoved inside. Cut like a 3 tine fork where I need the single middle tine to bend out. Probably need to enlarge their opening a little. Figure out how to stake my piece in place if necessary.
Hard to tell in the pic but if it needed another fastener in the middle of the curve... that would be a challenge.
Good luck with it.

that piece is all in one now, that's how it's made stamped steel with the tines that are the clips and the stainless is crimped around the steel part. I have to use pop rivets from the back side of my convertible panels when I redo them since most of the tines are broken off. same thing with lincoln contenintal door panel trim at the shop I work at. I have (sometimes) been lucky wire wheeling the steel part and "fluxing" and soldering a piece on, about 50/50 on that and I might have to re-polish the stainless 10% of the good ones. this one in the picture has from the backside (3) #6 panhead sheetmetal screw locating the trim which will be replaced with poprivets when the part is really made correctly for the panel.
DSCF4515.JPG

-
Back